1961 Bel Air family project

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Creating a thread showing some of the steps and milestones as we go through our family owned 1961 Bel Air Sport Coupe (348 manual trans). My wife's father purchased the car new while working for a local Chevrolet dealership back in '61. He spotted it while still tied down to the train car and went into the sales manager and claimed the car before it ever hit the showroom floor. I've known the car for the last 22 years or so....the last ten while parked in the back yard collecting dust and deteriorating away. Time to do something about that so here we go....

First step is to get the car to my house and assess it's condition. I decided to verify the engine was in good condition so I cleaned the tank and fuel lines, replaced all the engine fluids, rebuilt the carb and fired it up. To my surprise the engine ran perfectly, purred like a kitten and no smoke out the exhaust. It does have some vapors coming from the road draft tube but it seems within normal range. Compression was around 175 psi across the board so the engine is OK for now. I suspect we'll need to rebuild it someday but for now I just plan on replacing the seals and gaskets and hope to get a few more years of driving out of it.

We know we need a complete new interior, paint and wiring harnesses and we have a fair amount of rust to deal with....way more than should be found on an Arizona car. Oh well, enough talking. Here are the day one pics.01 front view.JPG 03 rear view.JPG 02 Side view.JPG 04 Trunk.JPG 05 Engine.JPG

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Looks like a nice car to start with,heritage means a lot too.... Congrats and good luck....it'll be fun to watch with many pictures I'm sure....:beer

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Cool car,Best of luck on the finished product.:love
Thanks. I hope to get help from forum members when I have questions. :)
I've actually had the car for about a month and am pretty far along. Luckily we have a healthy budget so it's just a matter of labor and time since the parts will come as fast as I need them to arrive. Ciadella will get all the interior pieces sometime next week so that gives me about 10 weeks to get the car into the paint booth. Here is a teaser pic of my current status... :)
09 floor test fit.JPG

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
175 psi across the board,,, that's great! :beer
I guess by Arizona standards it's got a bit of rust but up here in the rust belt we'd call that excellent condition! :clap :D
You've got a big job ahead of you but if you just take it step by step and try to enjoy all the little milestones, before you know it you'll be cruising down the street in a beautiful car. :cheers
The floor looks great by the way.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like a great car to start with!!:clap Being that complete will make things a lot easier... Are those one piece bumpers??

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
175 psi across the board,,, that's great! :beer
I guess by Arizona standards it's got a bit of rust but up here in the rust belt we'd call that excellent condition! :clap :D
You've got a big job ahead of you but if you just take it step by step and try to enjoy all the little milestones, before you know it you'll be cruising down the street in a beautiful car. :cheers
The floor looks great by the way.

Thanks for the words of confidence. Yes, it is quite a big project but we are extremely motivated. Our dad isn't getting any younger and he REALLY wants to drive that car again before his time comes. We also have family and friends that are lending a helping hand here and there when it's practical so that is nice. All four foot wells were heavily rusted as well as both outer rockers, both front fenders have a small silver dollar size rust hole at the lower corner (near the rocker), the rear quarter panels on both sides have rust along the lower edges (forward, center and rear) so that is going to take the most care in fixing. The truck center well is rusted as well. Everything above the beltline is fine though. This is my first time restoring a hard top....I have to say it's pretty neat to be inside the car when all four windows are rolled down. I can see why this style is so popular. :)

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Looks good,
Is that a new pan or just a lot of labor???

Steve
New pan halves. The braces were quite solid so I didn't need to replace any of them. That photo is just my test fit after trimming. Needs to be welded in still but that will have to wait a bit. I found some rust on the inner rockers at the very forward sections (between the forward brace and A-pillar. I'll need to replace a 6-8 inch section on both sides. Looks like a simple piece to make so I expect to have the passenger compartment floors all buttoned up this weekend. :)

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Looks like a great car to start with!!:clap Being that complete will make things a lot easier... Are those one piece bumpers??
Yes. Is that correct for the car? I was planning on taking them to the plating shop later this week. The front bumper looks pretty good but the rear bumper needs to be straightened. The local shop says they are up to the challenge. If we run into a snag....I have a good 3 piece rear bumper that my dad took off another car, it will do in a pinch. :)

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think the one piece bumpers are correct. Lots of people say they are for cars sold in CA only, but I think it's actually cars built in CA. My '61 Parkwood was built in California and originally sold in Nevada (I think....been awhile since I saw the window sticker.) and it has one piece bumpers. Either way though, most everyone considers them a nice upgrade.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
A few weekends ago, my wife's friend brought over her 10 year old son and he helped me strip down the front clip, here are some pics. Sometime in the mid 60's, the car was in an accident and received a scrape down the left side of the car. As near as I can tell, the left front fender was replaced with a OEM piece but the door was repaired. Looks like the body shop at the dealer re-sprayed the fender, door and hood because there was over spray on the inner wheel wells. Judging by the stories that I've heard over the years.....this car led a very rowdy life. It was not used gently....it was run hard and appeared to take it quite well. :)
01 remove front clip.JPG 02 engine.JPG 03 left fender.JPG 04 right fender.JPG 05 filthy engine.JPG

Last edited:

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
I think the one piece bumpers are correct. Lots of people say they are for cars sold in CA only, but I think it's actually cars built in CA. My '61 Parkwood was built in California and originally sold in Nevada (I think....been awhile since I saw the window sticker.) and it has one piece bumpers. Either way though, most everyone considers them a nice upgrade.

Thanks for the info. I figured they all came with one piece bumpers. I have yet to see another one of these cars in person so I have nothing else to go by. This car was built in Feb '61 at the LA plant. Sold in Arizona, so your theory makes sense. According to my dad, these are the original bumpers to the car.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
My daughter helped scrap off the gunk before dropping it off to be blasted. Grandpa already said the car goes to her when he is gone. Lucky girl....
01 cleaning.JPG 02 cleaning.JPG

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks for the info. I figured they all came with one piece bumpers. I have yet to see another one of these cars in person so I have nothing else to go by. This car was built in Feb '61 at the LA plant. Sold in Arizona, so your theory makes sense. According to my dad, these are the original bumpers to the car.

All the export chevs from the 50s onwards that came direct to New Zealand all have 1 piece bumpers. We only ever saw a three piece on an imported car
I have put 1 piece bumpers on my 61 Impala, i like them

Steve

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
You're welcome. Are you coming to the National Convention in September?
Where is it being held? Do you have a web link?

I just noticed the list of toys you have. Nice. My daughter and I put together a 1997 Pontiac Trans Am. 6 speed of course...:) It's a fun car, much nicer than the '76 TA that I owned back in the early 90's. She will drive the '97 for a few years to finish out high school and then have the '61 for weekends and shows. :)