1961 C10

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Still searching for a vehicle. Found a 61 in this area with 6 cyl. It seems that I remember a differance if 61 and 62 trucks in chassis, rear spring design??? I dont remember. Could some of you truck guys weigh in with some information or suggestions? Drive train will be w head with turbo 350. Change frame motor mounts and go? Appreciate any input. Thanks

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ronnie,
I will have to check my truck manuals, but as I recall they used a torsion bar front suspension for 60-62 and in 63 went back to front coils. I'm not sure about the rear suspension but will check. I have a 63 shortbed big back window fleetside that I haven't done anything with yet. It has no engine or trans but has a 12 bolt and someone put a power steering box on it.
Cecil

Attachments

• 63pu4.JPG
    63pu4.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 80

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the reply, Cecil. The torsion bar suspension is the difference that I recall being different, now that you mention it. I guess it caused problems because they ditched it quickly. Thats too bad because this is a nice old truck and more importantly, it is close to my home. I will do some more research before I make a decision. Thanks again.....

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Ronnie, Cecil is correct, 60-62 had the torsion bar suspension up front. They were OK, but the coil springs give a better ride. The main problem with them now is that the parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. are all different and harder to find, not to mention 2-3 times the cost of the later stuff. It is possible(and not that difficult) to sh$tcan the whole front end including the torsion bars and bolt up a complete crossmember and suspension from a 63-87 truck. The 63-70 trucks still had the 6 bolt hubs and drum brakes. The 71-87 front ends are a much more popular swap, mainly because of the 5 bolt hubs and disc brakes. There is some drilling involved to bolt up the crossmember and the idler arm, but the frames are the same width in this area so that's one plus. You can also get an adapter to mount the larger 70' up power steering box to the older frames. I think they may have even started using the integral ps box as far back as 68, but before that they used a separate ram which mounted on the linkage and were very leak prone. The later integral units are much better and easier to adapt. Also, if the truck has a manual trans in it now you would have to come up with a rear trans crossmember, they supported the manual trans under the bellhousing. Best of luck if you get it.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OldTruckNut, Thanks for all the great information. Gives me plenty of ammunition, in case I get the truck. Thanks again....