1961 C60 Viking front suspension

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been learning a bit about the IFS trucks this week. The literature I have on these show 19,500 lbs as the highest gvw for a c60 truck. This one is 19,300 lbs gvw on its tag. 5000 lb front was standard with 7000 lbs optional. with the gvw being near the max I ass-u-me-d that it had the 7000 lb front. The parts I got off Ebay were to big to fit.:scratch.
Got back to searching on the internet and found rareparts.com that has parts for these trucks. On the ball joint page it stated that the front end rating is on the upper a-arm. Cleaned a bit and there was an inch sized raised 5.:facepalm. Now I KNOW.
Dug around in Dads stash and found a 1961 GMC maintenance manual. Having the proper instructions to check things I checked the upper ball joints again. The last time I tried using a port a power between the a arms to check movement. I was having problems with the pump and got false readings. This time I got .040" drivers side and .045" rh side. The manual gives .09375" as service limit so I'm still good.

I located a pair of year of manufacture truck plates in the shop here.

Attachments

• HPIM1150.JPG
    HPIM1150.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 11

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
That looks like a deal!

My new 4-door is about 1/3 white and 2/3 primer. Just to spruce it up a little, the white is coming back to life with some 2000 grit wet-sanding and hand buffing. Try it in a spot and see what happens.

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
Nevermind on the hand buffing. Did a little more and decided to get the electric buffer out. Just too much work no matter how smooth the sandpaper get it.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had thought of wet sanding with 2000 also. I haven't washed the truck yet. It may not have been washed in many years. A good wash and cleaner wax may be all it needs.
A local store had a 20% off Dewalt tools sale last week so I bought a new polisher.
Some of the parts I have ordered for it have started to come in but I have hay to bale and harvest is starting soon. It may be a while before I get to put much time into it.