1961 Chevrolet Impala SS Bubble Top 409/360 HP, 1 of 142

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
bid to $70,000 today in Kissimmee

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-396942/1961-chevrolet-impala-ss-bubble-top/

1961 Chevrolet Impala SS Bubble Top | F242 | Kissimmee 2020

Auction Lot F242, Kissimmee, FL 2020. Formerly part of the Don Fezell Collection for nearly 30 years. Title search with history back to 1975. Super Chevy Best in Class and Big Car Best of Show Runner-Up in 1989. of 142 cars built with the 409 engine in 1961. First year for the Super Sport. of 456 Impala Super Sports built in 1961. 409/360 HP W-block engine. 4-speed manual transmission.
www.mecum.com

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
This car is a factory built SS, If this car were mine and I wanted to sell it I would pull the brake booster off so the block casting number could be seen and photograph the entire procedure to prove the motor is or isn’t a 61 409 block. If it isn’t then it is a 75k car and the owner may as well suck it up and let the car go, if it is a 623 block then the bids will go up but for now there is too speculation concerning the car

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Wouldn't it be easier to snake a boreoscope behind the l.cyl.head and let it show you the block casting numbers and date?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I agree, great looking car, I saw it at Mecum in Fla several years ago and I could not see the casting number either.
Not saying it’s incorrect, just should be validated.

Don you are correct about a bore scope.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I looked closely at the car several years ago when it still belonged to Don and I did everything but climb up on the fender and you just cant see the casting.number. If I remember correctly the car has a Morrain braking system which is kinda unusual, most had Bendex and the Bendex booster is a little smaller and lows you to see the number. But, there is something on that motor that can be seen and its a red flag