1961 Chevrolet Seat Belts

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Were Seat Belts available as an option from the factory (or only dealer installed) in full size Chevrolet in 1961. I know the picture isn't the best but these "Riverside" seatbelts where in my 61.

61seatbelts.JPG

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Again, I checked with Verne and the seat belts were dealer installed, no RPO and I'm pretty sure that all of the belts were grey.

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
The 1962 model year was the first for optional factory installed front seat belts, RPO 147. Back seat belts were still a dealer installed accessory in 1962. Basic black front seat belts became standard Jan. 1964..according to the 1964 pdf website.

Richard

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Richard,
Good to hear from you, don't be a stranger. What do you know about the color of the 61 belts? I believe they were all grey.
While we are discussing the 62 belts I believe the original 62 belts were all black then sometime in the spring of 62 they were available in colors to match the interior of the car. Can you confirm that?

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
I can't remember when the color (matching the interior color) belts started. My 1964 info shows optional RPO A49 custom deluxe front seatbelts with retractors. They would have been matched to the interior color. Because basic black front seatbelts became standard in 1964 there was a RPO A62 seatbelt delete option for dealer/customers who did not want the car to be equipped with the front seatbelts.

Richard

Last edited:

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Riverside was the brand name for Montgomery Ward auto parts back in the day. Kind of like Penske for Sears.

nasblu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Guys for all the great info. I thought that "Riverside" was a brand for Montgomery Wards but wasn't 100% sure.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
While we are discussing the 62 belts I believe the original 62 belts were all black then sometime in the spring of 62 they were available in colors to match the interior of the car. Can you confirm that?

Tommy..............Jody Anderson was in the shop about 2 years ago and I showed him a set of black seat belts with shiny black painted buckle. He said that was a pair of original early 62 seat belts. I had not heard that before. But I know Jody knows his stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!