1961 chevy ss

23plumpt

Supporting Member 1
NEED HELP, I am looking at a 1961 impala two door hardtop which needs to be totally restored. the owner claims that it is an original SS car. it there anyway to tell wheather it is the real thing from the trim tag or the vin# any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bob

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Some of the more obvious clues

The 1961 SS was a very limited build, and there are a number of obvious and then not so obvious things to look for. I will start with the obvious. Others can chime in the details...

All 1961 SS builds had "W" engines. Either the 348 or the even more rare 409. If I remember correctly if it was a 348, it was a high performance option, not the 250 horse variety. If the car you are looking at has a 283 or a six cylinder, it is not an SS car.

All 1961 SS builds were four speeds. If the car you are looking at has a pwoerglide, it is not originally an SS car.

There are some questions about the factory tachometer, but I think these were required on the 1961 SS. These tachs had a transmitter mounted on the left firewall, in a very specific location.

All 1961 SS cars had a "grab bar" for the passenger.

I am not certain if the cowl tag has any specific "SS" related imprints, I do know that later (1962) some aseembly plants did use the "SS" on the trim tags.

These vehicles are easily clone to various degrees of success, since basically the "SS package" involved certain pieces of "trim" or "badging" and specific wheel covers, all of which can be purchased and mounted on a "regular Imapala", making it "look like" an SS car.

Others will chime in with details!

TomK

23plumpt

Supporting Member 1
Tom, thanks for your imput, the car does have a 348 tri power motor and four speed. and the correct tach and transmitter. the casting mumbers on the motor pre date the build of the car as does the four speed. I was hoping there was a way to tell from the trim tag or vin#. thanks again for your help. maybe some other member will chime in.

Bob:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"All 1961 SS builds were four speeds. If the car you are looking at has a pwoerglide, it is not originally an SS car."

The base motor in the Super Sport was the 348/305, this motor and only this motor was available with the PG.

"There are some questions about the factory tachometer"

The tach was a required option on the SS, as was P.S, P.B., metalic brakes, HD springs and shocks front and rear and padded dash. These options were required before the RPO 240 (SS equipment) could be ordered.

Some cars were indentifiable by the cowl tag, others were not.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"the car does have a 348 tri power motor and four speed."

Based on the above, the motor should be a 350 horse power (FH code), this was the only 3x2 motor available in the SS. Check the coil mounting, should be up in the recess area beside the wiper motor

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
t"he casting mumbers on the motor pre date the build of the car as does the four speed"

Bob,
May I ask, what was the build date on the body?

Ron Dingus

NEED HELP, I am looking at a 1961 impala two door hardtop which needs to be totally restored. the owner claims that it is an original SS car. it there anyway to tell wheather it is the real thing from the trim tag or the vin# any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Bob

I have a real 1961 SS, LA built with SS on the trim tag. Los Angeles, CA., built 61 SS cars had SS under ACC on the trim tag. I know of three (3) LA built cars with SS on the trim tag. I have a 1961 SS GM brochure that gives ALL MANDATORY OPTIONS for the 61 SS. The SS did not come out until Feb. 1961; so check the build date. A REAL 61 SS had a grab bar on the passenger side with NO CROSS FLAGS on the dash. The holes for the grab bar bolts are oval, not round. Engines are 348, 305 hp up to 348. 350hp or 409, 360hp. A powerglide transmission was available on the 305 hp and all the other engines were mandatory 4-speeds. Also, it might be noted that the 305 hp engine had an aluminum intake. I have a lot of information on the 1961 SS, most of it from GM. If I can be of help to anyone on a '61 Super Sport, please feel free to email me at areal61ss@gmail.com. There are a lot of people who say "nobody really knows" when it comes to the 1961 Super Sport, but "The General" really does know.

09Jud

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hope this helps. I am trying to find the hole magazine with the motor trend artical , I think some one took it from my car at a show.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 77

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd think that looking for those stamped versus drilled holes for the grab bar would be one very good piece of evidence. I've heard that pointed out many times. I've also heard that some 61 SS's had extra body mounts. I'm not sure about that though.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
So, Tommy....do You know this guy?

I have a real 1961 SS, LA built with SS on the trim tag. Los Angeles, CA., built 61 SS cars had SS under ACC on the trim tag. I know of three (3) LA built cars with SS on the trim tag. I have a 1961 SS GM brochure that gives ALL MANDATORY OPTIONS for the 61 SS. The SS did not come out until Feb. 1961; so check the build date. A REAL 61 SS had a grab bar on the passenger side with NO CROSS FLAGS on the dash. The holes for the grab bar bolts are oval, not round. Engines are 348, 305 hp up to 348. 350hp or 409, 360hp. A powerglide transmission was available on the 305 hp and all the other engines were mandatory 4-speeds. Also, it might be noted that the 305 hp engine had an aluminum intake. I have a lot of information on the 1961 SS, most of it from GM. If I can be of help to anyone on a '61 Super Sport, please feel free to email me at areal61ss@gmail.com. There are a lot of people who say "nobody really knows" when it comes to the 1961 Super Sport, but "The General" really does know.

with the same sort of car.....and in the same state. do you now this guy?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Yes Bob, we show together at some of the AACA shows. I don't think Ron has had the '61 out for some time. He has a super nice mid year Corvette that he has been showing lately.