1961 Fender Ornament Locations

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Would anybody have the dimensions for the holes I have to drill? The assembly manual does not show them best I can tell.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's a pic from yesterday. Driver side trim installed. Need to find clips for the passenger side door and rear quarter. Still have to wire the trunk and engine compartment. Seats are done but no carpet yet.
IMAG1964_zpsowferucc.jpg

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Look at section 11-13 sheet 8 and sheet 15 for details.
Sheet 8 shows the placement but references the 40 and 32.5 body lines.
The 32.5 is off the car centerline (hood center assuming it is centered).
The 40 is off the tab of the fender mount. It is marked 0 on sheet 15.
Don't get confused by the two holes shown on sheet 15 they are not the ornament holes.
Also every dimension is straight and square to an imaginary 3 dimensional matrix around the car. Do not measure laying the rule on the curved surface.
Make sure you use a step drill and not a twist drill.
Oh and thanks for the oversize wheels... One of my engineering buddies back in the 90's tried to talk me into larger wheels for my bubble but I stuck with stock diameters.
He was right they do look nice...

Last edited:

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thank you sir!

I'm torn on the wheels. I really like the old school look and am not crazy about the lack of sidewall I have up front. They will have to work for now though. At least until the price of oil gets out of the crapper. lol

Triple900

I just bought a pair of NOS front fender ornaments for my 61 bubble top. They contained instructions which included the size of the hole 5/16 (center punch first ) and a template for the placement if you need a copy is there a way you could PM your address and I'll copy and send them to you. Im new to this forum but I assume it has PM capabilities . Next i am going to need to reapply the Cheverolet to the hood . I need the spacing template