1961 Glass Install

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Guys, i'm going to install my glass this weekend. Looks like it's going to be near 70 on Sunday and I have zero interest in the Super Bowl. :rolleyes I'm pretty confident that I can do the job without breaking the glass. What i'm not so sure about is, the clips. Even after reading numerous threads..... Are the clips the same for both the front and rear? I'm only asking about the clips needing to be installed before the glass.

I know the lower front reveal uses a different clip but that's installed after the glass as I understand it. Really want the glass in the car as it's taking up much needed work space and i've had too many close calls with the kids.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes the clips front and back are the same but on the bottom moldings on the back glass for Sport Coupe there are 2-clips that are longer and go on the corners. I think I made note of this in my build thread for my Bel-Air.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Dan! Glad I didn't install the rear without checking. I should have those 2 clips, just have to find them. lol I've seen numerous threads and don't recall any of them mentioning those 2 oddball clips so I definitely would have missed them. Thanks again.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Dan! Glad I didn't install the rear without checking. I should have those 2 clips, just have to find them. lol I've seen numerous threads and don't recall any of them mentioning those 2 oddball clips so I definitely would have missed them. Thanks again.
Glad I was able to help. Good Luck.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I intsalled the clips around the front pinch weld last night. I'm fighting the urge to run screws through all of the clips instead of the few like they did at the factory. :crazy

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I am curious as to why replace them ,I will do my 63 this spring first time the glass has been out. Seemed like they were good shape when I removed them.:dunno

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The glass hasn't been in this car for 10 years. The clips were removed prior to paint and were covered in the caulk so I figured I would replace them. But as i've learned through this project, for the most part reproduction parts are crap. I will likely use some of the original clips on the rear provided they're still tight.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Alright Dan (or anyone else), i'm having a heck of a time with the front gasket wanting to pull away from the sides of the glass because of it's hour glass shape. I have tape forcing the glass to stay in the rubber channel in the hopes the gasket will stretch or something. I fought that gasket for 2 hours to get it seated. I figured that was going to be the easy part.

Also, it's not made by Soft Seal like the rest of the rubber I bought. This was years ago so i'm not 100% sure it came from LGC. The package says Super Seal. I wonder if I bought a junk gasket. Should they be that tight? I actually stuck the thing in the oven at 175 for 30 minutes. Always something....

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Alright Dan (or anyone else), i'm having a heck of a time with the front gasket wanting to pull away from the sides of the glass because of it's hour glass shape.
Understand how these gaskets are made - the corners are molded to shape but the sides are extruded like the play dough pumper and cut to length. They are joined when the side is stuck into the corner mold and the rubber injected to form the corner. The problem is the sides need to be cut to length. Too long and they can bunch up and not assemble. Usually a little short works because they stretch and if the sides are straight or convex no problem. If the edge is concave (hour glass) then the length has to be always kept a little long. Better gasket makers can do this and are aware of issue.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Makes sense and good info. :good I just thought it odd because from what I could tell, installing new glass with a new gasket couldn't be done in one day without a trick or two.

I left the gasket taped in place and had to replace the tape a few times in order to make sure the glass was still in the channel. It is definitely getting better though. Wednesday is supposed to be warm so i'll take a stab at actually installing it into the car.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
One last caution: short sides stretched can distort the corner molds. I would do a dry fit of the gasket to the body without the glass prior to installation. Make sure the corners fit and all sides fit nicely all at once. Rubber does creep under pressure so the sides should stretch somewhat with your taping over time. Just make sure you got enough stretch set in before trying to install the glass because you don't want to fight ill fitting corners with sealer on the gasket.

ron61

I had problems installing my back glass in a 1961 bubbletop. I ordered two different gasket finally i glued the gasket to the window
and it fall right in.