1961 heater core?

LowKat

Well Known Member
Not finding a heater core for my 61 Impala. Anywhere to buy them new? Is a '62 shorter? When I got the car there were 2 cores in the trunk which told me it needed one. Both looked new. One is a little shorter and the tubes are a little closer together. After pulling the old one, figured out the long one was "it". Pressure tested and installed. Lasted all summer but now leaking.

I know you can get a re-core done with your tanks but just had one done for a 64 Caddy, was over $200.

The one on the right is the '61
0 Impala heater 1.jpg

0 Impala heater 2.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Have you tried some of the major vendors?? Ecklers. Hubbards. Bob's. Classic Impala Parts. Show Cars. Ebay. Google it. Put it in the wanted section here. There are 2 sites that have sections that cater to Impalas; CT and Impalas.net. Maybe check and leave a message with them. $200.00 does seem to be a lot of money. You don't want the leaking one fixed, Carmine.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
two different heaters in 61. Regular and deluxe or maybe called west coast and cold climate. 62 just one. Anybody?

LowKat

Well Known Member
I've looked at local parts places and most of the specialty sellers too.
I'm not in panic mode yet.

Mine's the deluxe.
I wonder if all Impala's got deluxe?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I've seen both in Impalas. The small one seems to be just to have a little heat for the defrosters. The other seems to be the same as my 62 Belair.
The small heater car is from CA.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
The problem with all the cores sold by parts vendors is they are Chinese junk made by small children. That just don't last. I'd try and get a radiator shop recore your original.

Gary

61 tripps

Well Known Member
As of 6 months ago, I was unable to find a replacement for my 61 at any of the major vendors. Got lucky - someone on this site GAVE me his for just the cost of shipping. Try someone parting out a car, but taking a chance that you are buying someone else's problem. Southeast Chevy in FL is reliable. Some parts for 61 Imps are almost impossible to find. Eventually when all else fails, you might have to have it re-cored.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have at least 4 -1962 Chevy heater cores. I think they are the same as 1961
Chevy heater cores (without air)
I took measurements off the heater core for my 62 Chevy factory air heater core and bought a new heater core that did not have the right ends and tubes on it "but was exactly the right size". We just transferred the ends at the local radiator shop. I think the radiator shop got the core for me (under $100).
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I just talked to my friend who has had 1961 Chevy's for 40 + years. The heater cores are the same for 61 and 62
Chevy's. I was wrong on the number of heater cores I have. I have over 30 of them. Most have been out of cars andf stored inside for over 25 years. I/we have a used original heater core in my friends frame off restoration 62 Impala SS convertible - the core was checked by local radiator shop.
Paul

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Is there a difference between the 61 cores for all weather A/C and just a standard heater.
If so what is the difference.

cheers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The factory air 61 and 62 heater core is smaller in length but the same width as the non factory air heater core. The factory air heater core has a "factory air only heater temperature control" mounted on the end of the heater core (inside the heater box under inside the car -inside the black heater box on the inside of the firewall. The tubes coming of the factory air heater core are smaller and not the same as the non factory air. The tubes from the factory air heater core exit through the firewall in a different location on the firewall.
The factory air heater core and the non factory air heater core fits inside the same heater box under the dash. The A/C heater core has slightly different brackets for mounting inside the heater box under the dash. The mounting bracket for non air heaters will not work on a A/C heater core -it only works on the bracket made for it. The
mounting brackets look similar to each other.

For 61-62 The heater controls on non factory air heater under the hood mounted on the black heater box that is hooked to the fan which is under the fender.

I have pictures of both 61/62 heater cores under the dash A/C and non A/C, heater cores.

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Just to note the first picture on this post the heater core on right has the correct factory tubes on the end of the core.
My original 61-62 heater non factory air heater cores are 9.5 inches long

here is the correct 61 and 62 factory air heater core.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catal...21.html?Make=Chevrolet&Model=Impala&Year=1962

its too much money. I got mine for under $100 buy reusing the factory ends on the heater core with a new heater core
this new 61/62 A/C heater core (YOU MUST change the NEW heater core ends at a radiator shop using your originals ):
Four seasons # 94534 or Spectra Premium # 94534 This is a brass copper core. I still have these boxes from my original order to confirm what fit.

Here is a link: Core size (see link) 9.5 " by 6.38" by 2.5" (you must have the core size measurement before ordering the heater core and also compare it to your original before paying for it......)
I DID JUST MEASURE MY NON FACTORY AIR HEATER CORE AND ITS ONLY 1/8' LONGER THAN THIS FACTORY A/C HEATER CORE.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-945...ash=item1c6515efc4:g:MFQAAOSwHoFXqIhs&vxp=mtr

Paul Stensland

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Paul,

Just what I was after, my heater core shat it self, I have factory all weather A/C. I will get it recored.

cheers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I strongly suggest you have your factory A/C heater control valve that mounts on the end of the heater core, rebuilt when you have it apart.
Its lots of work to take the system apart and install the valve and you don't want the valve leaking a few years from now.

These guys(Old Air Products) repair the "original" Harrison heater control valves -the core charge is $100 for the right valve 1961 and 62 factory air valves are the same. They do not rebuilt everhot valves

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catal...77.html?Make=Chevrolet&Model=Impala&Year=1962

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The ends on the 67 and 68 heater cores that I just checked will not fit the factory holes in the heater boxes. The spacing on the pipes are to close on the ones that look like the 1961 and 1962 non A/C core. The core might fit the mounting brackets. My point is to reuse the original ends and pipes with a new core that fits.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The ends on the 67 and 68 heater cores that I just checked will not fit the factory holes in the heater boxes. The spacing on the pipes are to close on the ones that look like the 1961 and 1962 non A/C core. The core might fit the mounting brackets. My point is to reuse the original ends and pipes with a new core that fits.
Where they the bbc cores Paul?

blkss64

Well Known Member
Hi Paul,

Not supporting any vender here but Rock Auto has that copper/brass core for 60.00 to 65.00 dollars. Two different brands.

Also the picture for the heater core #94534 is an aluminum version. Is that correct?

Jon

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
No aluminum is not original - brass/copper is what I looked for and was original -all my 40 originals are brass copper.
I did not notice that that one was aluminum.

Yes that price is good. I had to pay shipping to the parts supplier to check the core size with my originals to find the right one.
As I stated the ends on the core need to match the U shaped factory mounting brackets which screws to the heater box.

I recall prices about $50 to $60 or less than $75 is a fair price. I think I paid about $30 to transfer the ends to the new core.

Paul