1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Your right Phil, I forgot the earlier cowl tags were date stamped!

Tom, it looks like an early ‘61 build. 3B. I think that deciphers out to March, 2nd week. 703A43DD-4C94-49CB-BFE9-F7D29FEF9D1D.jpeg

Funny thing also (and I think many 6 cylinder cars are this way) the cowl tag is stamped 1811 which is an 8 cylinder, 2 door sedan, Impala. But the actual door vin tag is stamped 1711 which is correct (6 cylinder, 2 door sedan, Impala). I think I read somewhere cowl tags were all stamped with a V8 body code for simplicity.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Your right Phil. The new year models started hitting the showrooms in the fall, if I remember correctly.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Alrighty gang, got a question for you. So, my Frankenstein engine is a ‘67 block, thus it has a hole next to the distributor to mount a draft tube to....
736FA68E-9004-49BD-B54F-48DA577AF184.jpeg
In the spirit of keeping “Frank” uncluttered, I found this pic of crank case ventilation I’d like to ask you all about.
F8730C36-DE35-49A5-A474-F5CB81E2003A.jpeg
Looks like they ran a hose from the draft tube fitting to a carb spacer (assume that’s pulling a vacuum from the crank case). Is this correct? This pic came from a Corvette forum and there was lots of debate of it actually working. I’m running non-ventilated valve covers and the original type oil fill tube/breather.

I’m fairly certain that sealing this hole off with a freeze plug will not allow the crank case to breathe properly. But I’d also like to not run a draft tube like stock. Any good tips on what to do to keep my engine happy and breathing while going uncluttered?

Thank you, gents!!

Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Yes, if it clears the bottom of the intake.
Some aftermarket don't have clearance for those.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If the baffle is gone on my engine, and I installed and torqued down the intake, am I screwed? Do I need to remove the intake and locate this particular baffle?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You could try and run the PCV to a fitting on the oil fill tube with a sealed cap, then run a tube from the hole in the rear of the block to the bottom of air breather.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul, I believe that’s true, but if the pvc is higher than the oil it should remain in the oil valley. Yeah, I’m gettin’ all cornfused now...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
At any RPM over idle the oil will be slinging like mad under the intake, without the baffle it would impossible to keep from drawing oil vapor out that hole, the only hope to use that hole without the baffle would be to hook the PCV to the oil fill tube, then you would be drawing air into the crankcase from the rear hole.
Chevy used the PCV to the oil fill tube, but sure they still had the baffle under the intake.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yep, the vettes has that particular tube. May have to be on the lookout for that particular one now ‍♂️

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If he draws too much oil out of the crankcase, how fast will the oil deplete? Or, how often should the oil be checked to ensure too much isn't being pulled, or will plugs foul before there is a problem?

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That picture looks like the same set up as a 327-350 horse engine.If that baffle interferes with the bottom of your intake,modify[bend] the baffle for clearance.

Don, that’s just a picture I found, that’s not my engine. My engine already had the baffle removed and I’ve already installed my intake now.
So here’s my setup.
-baffle in the oil valley is removed
-would like to use original non vented valve covers
-the intake manifold I’m using incorporates the fill tube and the vented oil cap

So it really appears as if I need to remove the intake and install a baffle to use the non vented valve covers and the original type oil fill tube?

Last edited: