1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you haven't already,pull the intake and put that baffle back in there.Regardless of wheather you use a road draft tube or a PCV system,it needs to be in that engine,peroid!!! A set up that I'd use is your fill tube and breather cap,put a Pcv valve in the line from the back of the engine to the carb.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That’s the problem Don, this engine didn’t have one installed or included when I bought it.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Check with Corvette suppliers.On the older engines there were two different cannisters,a longer one for 2 bbl.engines,and a shorter one for the single and two four barrel set ups,you want the shorter one here.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Looks like Paragon Corvette has them 86284380-23D0-46FC-85A2-99A92C3278F9.jpeg
Think I’ll still put an ad in the wanted section since these are $50 :(

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Please Paul, see if you have an extra! I have some other things I need to pay you for when you get back too.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks gang. I knew if I asked, you all would know what to do. Full disclosure, I’ve only worked on flathead Fords and later model LT’s and LS’s. I learn something new on here all the time! You guys rock!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Welp, off with the intake. Frankenstein didn’t want to be buttoned up yet, I suppose. Figured I’d get ready to install a canister when I get one.
2F2589C3-1892-4C01-99A8-D22E4FA29F4A.jpeg
And, again I’m not an engine guy, but does the rear water passages in the head get covered by the manifold? The 2703 Edelbrock I have covers the rearmost water passage. I think it’s because both castings can be used on either side, but I’d like to ask. These are ‘57 pp heads on a ‘67 block.
F9BE8A90-E37C-4220-8D34-92F065BD1DC1.jpeg
I’m a body/paint, suspension, electrical person, so please forgive me for asking so many elementary engine questions! I certainly learning!!!

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
If you leave the lifter valley baffle out, oil droplets will be pulled into the PCV system under vacuum and can cause plug fouling, oil consumption, blue smoke out the exhaust under load, all kinds of things like that.It needs to be there in order to prevent that. Looks like a good 283 rebuild. All small blocks after '67 didn't have this set up. The PCV on the '68 engines was drawn from the valve covers, and they had a baffle in the valve cover around the PCV valve.Aftermarket valve covers without the baffles can lead to excessive oil usage also. The PCV system is a good thing, it removes condensation and gasoline vapors (otherwise known as blow by) from the oil which shortens oil life and contaminates it. That's where that nasty black sludge comes from in some engines.352,390 FE Ford engines were noted for it, those engines weighed about 800 pounds, ran a cold thermostat,(145-160 degrees), and they never seemed to warm up. They never seemed to clear themselves of moisture in the oil, and unburned gasoline.Those engines were never known for their gas mileage.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Great info Greg! Yep, I plan on installing the baffle canister and a pcv system. I want to run the original script valve covers and oil fill tube.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a picture of the road draft removed (on my 62 Chevy 327 )and the PCV hooked to the back of the carter AFB carb and with a Power brake vaccum hook up to the back of the carb and the distributor vacuum advance all hooked to the back of the carb with a vented oil fill tube cap (vented oil fill caps were used 58 to 62 and 63 to 67 from the way they are sold)

The last 2 pictures are my edelbrock carbs (on my 62 409 )with a 63 style PCV to the back carb (the vacuum advance is hooked to the front of the edelbrock carb and a vented oil fill cap on a stock oil fill tube

Paul
DSCN8888.JPGDSCN8893.JPGDSCN8898.JPG

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ah, I like the tee idea Paul. I knew I would need a second and third vacuum source since I’m putting a power brake booster in and the advance on the dizzy.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, on the 327 you have a 4th vacuum hooked to the hollow carb stud, what would that be for? I can see distributor, pcv, and power brakes.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Another thing- especially on a 409 with an aluminum intake--my first 409 had an oil leak I had trouble finding, you drove it nice, no leak, you got on it, it would leak. I put valve cover gaskets on it several time, intake gaskets, a pan and rear main seal set, same thing. Some time later, I broke a valve in it, cracked a cylinder wall, built some heads, had it sleeved, did a nice stock rebuild. Reinstalled the engine, same thing. Then, I got lucky. The top of the intake behind the rear carb had wet clean oil on it, which would run down around the rear of the motor just like it did the first time around. I had a firewall mounted coil on that car, and never put the OE coil mounting bolts back into the intake. One bolthole was blind-it didn't go through the intake. The other one did. It went right into the lifter valley, allowing hot oil off the camshaft to spray right out that hole. Make sure all bolt holes in the intake are equipped with a short fastener or some kind of plug.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That connection is for a vacuum operated aftermarket cruise control, that was on the car when I bought it.
I never used the cruise, it seemed to surge ( vary speeds) when I tried to use it.