1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I replaced brass leaker with a plastic type for a different vehicle type , don't recall what right now but could look it up. It snapped right on correctly. If your sender is working other wise ,use it. The aftermarket senders are a maybe to work correct what I have heard on this site. I had good luck with my sender ,maybe I was lucky.

Last edited:

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Why not just replace the float? I have heard some folks use a brass float that is availability for mid-fifties Fords.

Oh, forgot to mention the filter sock separated at the end as well. After both the sock failed and the float cracked, I threw the entire assembly away. As I said, it was a cheap Chinese piece of crap. Unfortunately, all of the replacements I see appear to be from the same manufacturing house.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Not a plethora of things happening on the Impala lately due to family commitments and spring yard work, but I thought I’d drop by.

Well, the 283 build is starting to look like an actual engine now. Got the new carb, air cleaner, manifolds, and date coded hoses in place. Just got the proper brackets for the alternator conversion, but still need to settle on which alternator to buy. I’ll put up a separate post on the parts needed to convert my generator electrical system over to an alternator. Anyway, the engine is slowly coming together. 171C023E-DF02-4C13-995F-2CD8C08BA7B8.jpeg
Remember the Zolatone paint I said I used for the trunk? Well, I needed another quart to complete a few brackets I’ll be using for air ride components. So I order another quart for $55 on Amazon, but when it gets here, it’s a gallon! What in the heck am I going to do with enough to cover 10 trunks?? That shipping error cost someone $100 to boot! So, if there’s anyone local who would like the leftovers to do their trunk, just shoot me a pm. I’ll give it to you for free. It would be a shame for such a great product to go to waste. 36EE693E-1ADB-453D-B771-1C1FAC953144.jpeg
Speaking of coatings, I used POR15 manifold gray to protect the manifolds after I had them blasted. The instruction are very specific that you need to bake the finish on to fully cure the coating. For a fleeting moment, I thought about using the oven in the kitchen, but, my better judgement prevailed. So I fire up the pellet smoker, run it up to 450, and bake them. My neighbor stops by and asked what’s for dinner, so I told him to look for himself. We decided to have a beer instead. A7B7E79C-D4BC-4E94-B0D5-DC78F7784675.jpeg
Finally getting some time tomorrow to take my steering wheel components to my painter. Hopefully after those pieces are done, I can finalize the steering column. I need the column back in for when I push it out of the garage in a month to take the front clip off. But more of that when I get there.
1769B0E0-CBB1-494D-BA88-14AC8AC65C61.jpeg
Enough for now. Got to make dinner for my two boys. My dad would have told me to get a can of Vienna sausages and a Pepsi for dinner, but I digress....

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Good progress I'd say. Really like your floor....View attachment 69681

Best investment I’ve ever made in a garage! Cost 3k cash for 800 square foot.... and the original floor was terrible. Think of a terribly spalled floor poured in the mid 50’s, and that what I had. Now, I can actually mop the floor after working. I’m OCD and this floor makes me happy ;)

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thought I’d drop in with a few pics of my (slow) progress. Front clip is off and engine will be pulled next week. Will have the front end and firewall dustless blasted. Also had some time to rebuild the side window tracks and vent window weather stripping and felt.

Engine wise, I’ve installed the Pertronix distributor, coil, and matching wire set. I primed the engine with Lucas high zinc content break in oil. It’s ready to drop in as soon as I get to that point.

Due to the fact I’ll be running an air bag suspension, I will be replacing the original driveshaft for one with a rear slip yoke. Glad I didn’t drive this car much before tearing it down because the carrier bearing was completely torn out of its mount. I’ll be going back with an aluminum shaft, billet carrier bearing assembly, and a Spicer slip yoke.

Guess that’s it for now. 989C1F3C-C916-47BF-8572-7098DB58CE0C.jpeg58C01846-35C8-49AE-A102-F8EA22B02ECC.jpeg705DC923-6E72-44A5-A2BA-604C0901E918.jpeg88B681CF-E136-4E9B-9BA3-98158069EFD1.jpeg

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Which Pertronix distributor did you use, II or III ? Also do you know which air bag system you are going with?

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jeff, I went with the Pertronix "stock look" Flame Thrower, Ignitor I distributor PN# D104600, the Pertronix Flame Thrower, 40,000 volt, 1.5 ohm, coil PN#40111, and the Pertronix "Stock Look" wire set PN#708101.

As far as the air ride components go, I piece mine together. I find buying the components separate, saves money and you can build a system that you want. I run Viair compressors, AVS switch boxes, SMC manual valves, and Slam Specialities bags, religiously. With build in this Impala however, I am going to run a Slam Specialities valve manifold because I want to hide/camoflage the components in the trunk. You can buy entire ready made systems for your '65 from Air Ride Technologies, and if you go that direction. It's a bit more expensive than building your own system, but they have a great reputation and their components are bulletproof! Go to a friend of mine, Boris Maryanovsky of Street Machinery in Euclid Ohio and tell him Doug Foust sent you. He can set you up from stem to stern!