1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Happen to have a manufacturer’s name or link? We are talking hydraulic, correct? I’m all for saving a bit of money. Btw, I’ll be flaring stainless steel tube. The Mastercool brand was the only one I could find that specifically said it could be used for stainless.
One site is loryfashion.com at 85.00 for the mastercool. Eastwood has a nice flaring tool at $179.00 that does stainless too. There are videos on that tool. That tool was used by the gals on all girls garage did a great job ,easy too.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
One site is loryfashion.com at 85.00 for the mastercool. Eastwood has a nice flaring tool at $179.00 that does stainless too. There are videos on that tool. That tool was used by the gals on all girls garage did a great job ,easy too.

Loryfashion.com? The address is in China, so I don’t think I’m sending my credit card number there....

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Loryfashion.com? The address is in China, so I don’t think I’m sending my credit card number there....
There are other sites, just have to shop around. The eastwood one at $179.00 will do all the same. I just use this type for years with good result.

Attachments

• 11505570_ptl_w80670_pri_larg.jpg
    11505570_ptl_w80670_pri_larg.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Have you used stainless before?
I have done one job using stainless, never again, to hard to work with.

Yes, and those coated lines too. Doing them with the old fashioned manual type glaring tools is virtually impossible. That’s why I’d like to give the Mastercool kit a try.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
3 speed stoplight action.
Doing 30 mile per hour ,come up to a red light,slowing down to about 10 mph and light turns green. So it is in 2nd gear and cant downshift to first because a non isyncronized tranny. So i chug out in second or have to come to complete stop to get in 1st gear with green light. Ugh.
4 speed tranny syncronized same thing happen's at light, i downshift to lower gear mash the throttle and go. Been there ,done that. That is the reason why i say the 4 speed is much easier to go in stop light action ,i switched from 3 to 4 speed in the one i had. .But,,,,its your car if you are happy with it that's all that matters. No offence intended ,just explaining why i prefer the 4 speed. That car would look good with a wiggly shifter.:D

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Naw, I’m good with a 3 speed.

That’s what I said too, until I actually drove one of those in my 63 bel air. Man I hate that trans. The ol’ non synchro 1st, and barely synchro 2-3 sm318. What a piece of crap. I ‘went thru’ mine to reseal it and check bearings etc and it’s straight out of the 30’s. You can tell it’s a top shifted trans that they flipped 90* and put levers on. Designed to handle about 50hp.

If you run a 3-speed, you might put a SM326 in it. ‘65 and up. All synchro. Much, much stronger and pleasant to drive. They’re harder to find cuz circle track guys like em too. The synchro trans Phil speaks of must be a borg warner?

All this BS aside a black and white Impala post is one heck of a cool car:good

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
3 speed stoplight action.
Doing 30 mile per hour ,come up to a red light,slowing down to about 10 mph and light turns green. So it is in 2nd gear and cant downshift to first because a non isyncronized tranny. So i chug out in second or have to come to complete stop to get in 1st gear with green light. Ugh.
4 speed tranny syncronized same thing happen's at light, i downshift to lower gear mash the throttle and go. Been there ,done that. That is the reason why i say the 4 speed is much easier to go in stop light action ,i switched from 3 to 4 speed in the one i had. .But,,,,its your car if you are happy with it that's all that matters. No offence intended ,just explaining why i prefer the 4 speed. That car would look good with a wiggly shifter.:D

I'm going to have to disagree with you you on this one Don. I have shifted a non-syncroed 3 speed from 2nd gear to 1st. No problem, just do the double clutch thing while increasing RPM. No grinding, no problem.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm going to have to disagree with you you on this one Don. I have shifted a non-syncroed 3 speed from 2nd gear to 1st. No problem, just do the double clutch thing while increasing RPM. No grinding, no problem.
What vehicle? That could be but i would rather have a 4 speed any day for that reason.

Last edited: