1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What a cool '61 Impala! My Black '62 Biscayne came from Salisbury, Missouri which is less than 20 miles away from Brunswick. My car is also very solid underneath with a similar silt coating on its belly. I've always suspected that it's probably from dirt roads that were sprayed down with waste oil to keep the dust down. If you do any cleaning underneath there with scrapers and wire wheels it might be a good idea to wear a dust mask. That stuff is considered hazardous waste and tainted with Dioxin. That's my inner Debbie Downer persona speaking . . .

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You know Mark, I had not even gave that a thought! The spraying of the roads back in the 50-60's was quite prominent in MO, even where I grew up in Southeast part of the state. I actually plan on power washing the bottom thoroughly before I start doing any major undercarriage cleaning.

Was yours a StL built Biscayne? If so, our cars probably never seen a railcar. They were more than likey driven to the semi truck line and delivered that way..... only 100 miles from their birthplace. I have had multiple GM cars from that era, but this in my first StL built ;) Also makes me happy because my grandfather worked at plant for a time in the mid to late 50's.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Biscayne is actually a Kansas City-built car. Tuxedo Black/Aqua Interior. I don't know what dealership my car sold out of originally but there's probably a pretty good chance they sold at the same dealership. I discovered Post Office Money Order Receipts from the summer of 1963 in my glovebox from the Salisbury Post Office.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mark, they just may have come from the same dealership! Salisbury is half way between Brunswick and Moberly. Do you have a dealership badge?

Jason, you happen to have any pics of your pop's old Impala? There's not a lot of pics out there for the 2 door sedan Impala. Only 8 or so on a google search.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Been a few weeks since checking in. The floor is completely done in red oxide and looking great. I have come to the last few details in the interior, before building back up.

I was finally able to get her backed out of the garage and into the drive. It had not been washed in decades. After the initial power wash of the undercarriage, I had an easy 1/2" of silt, mud, asphalt, and leaves washed out from under her. That my friends, was only the FIRST pass. After 3 more of the same outcome, the undercarriage is finally clean. No longer is the Impala the home to at least 7 different species of insects!!

The exterior was finally uncovered from the dirt, dust, and mud, to expose a curious thing. The old farmer who originally owned the Impala must have thought that spray bomb black enamel was the best thing since sliced bread. Apparently, any small chip or scuff was obliterated by a big dose of black enamel spray paint! Maybe it looked good in the 60's-70's, but it now looked like a spotted leopard in places. So I asked several old paint and body guys what it would take to remove the spray bomb, but to leave the original GM Magic Mirror lacquer. With several different recipes, I think I have it figured out. I used reducer to remove the enamel, then a good buffing to remove the residue. Then a light cut to get to the lacquer. It will take a while to get the entire car done, but I figured it will be a year long project....

Last edited:

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, it's finally getting cooler in my shop, so I figured it was about time to get back on the Impala. I've gutted the interior and coated the floor in preparation for carpet. The interior panels were toast, so I will need to purchase a set of those. An interesting note. I can't find a good selection of gray interior parts anywhere! I'm having a hard time finding gray package tray liners and kick panels. I suppose I will be buying fawn and painting them :( REALLY like to find a place that just sells the front seat reupholstery kit, since my back seats are mint. Anyone know where I could get a gray '61 bench (front only) seat reupholstery kit??

I'm getting my parts together for this Fall and Winter. I now have a power disc brake kit, complete side trim kit, and valve for the air ride. I have a '61 date coded 283 that I'm picking up soon too.

I had to vent. Whoever at GM thought up the great idea of putting trim clips in the inaccessible portion of the rear quarter should be drawn and quartered! I had to destroy a few clips just to remove them! I am not putting those particular clips back in. I am going to save someone the headache I had. So this pic shows the side trim off. Now I am getting ready to hit the paint with a light 2000 grit wet sand and a buff. The original paint is there, but someday when I become a lottery winner, I need to do a frame off on her.... But for now, the old lacquer will have to do.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
A 170 horse 283 in a 61 was a slug! At least build it to the 220 hp 4 barrel "power pack engine,you'll be glad you did.Modernize that 283,with your 3 speed trans,and you'll smoke a 250-280 horse 348 with a power glide.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I explained earlier how to remove the two inaccessable quarter panel clips both fore and aft of the wheelhouse. I have secsefully removed several with that procedure, it works everytime.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don, yep, I plan on going 4 barrel Edelbrock 500cfm electric choke carb and Performer intake. I may have to bump up to 600cfm. We'll have to get the engine home and do an internal inspection, but maybe a hone or 30 over if the cylinders look good. I thinking on having the heads built with hardened seats (maybe). I will be leaving the 3 on the tree in her. I just like rowing the boat from the steering column!!

My thoughts are to get a decent 283 in it and drive it for a few years. The interior may not be complete before next Spring, but I want to have the engine, suspension, rim/tire combo, new trim, and the original paint buffed out by then.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Dan, I swear I remembered your tips, but darned if I forgot where they were. They were on here!! I still have the other side to go and I will definitely try your tips over there. Now to go back and read you words of wisdom!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Boom! They have the kick panels and the package tray! Wonder if they would make a front only seat set for me? Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow. Thanks again, Dan. I forgot about Ciadella.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You should ask about the kick panels and package tray color as they may not have the correct t color. I know on my car, fawn the did not and I painted. It actually worked to my advantage to paint as it looks way better.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yep, I've had to paint several interior parts to match when I worked on 67-72 GM trucks. There are limited colors made in visors and dash pads. I got to be an expert on it! Got to use Bullydog paint adhesive and a clean, clean surface!

blkss64

Well Known Member
Well, it's finally getting cooler in my shop, so I figured it was about time to get back on the Impala. I've gutted the interior and coated the floor in preparation for carpet. The interior panels were toast, so I will need to purchase a set of those. An interesting note. I can't find a good selection of gray interior parts anywhere! I'm having a hard time finding gray package tray liners and kick panels. I suppose I will be buying fawn and painting them :( REALLY like to find a place that just sells the front seat reupholstery kit, since my back seats are mint. Anyone know where I could get a gray '61 bench (front only) seat reupholstery kit??

I'm getting my parts together for this Fall and Winter. I now have a power disc brake kit, complete side trim kit, and valve for the air ride. I have a '61 date coded 283 that I'm picking up soon too.

I had to vent. Whoever at GM thought up the great idea of putting trim clips in the inaccessible portion of the rear quarter should be drawn and quartered! I had to destroy a few clips just to remove them! I am not putting those particular clips back in. I am going to save someone the headache I had. So this pic shows the side trim off. Now I am getting ready to hit the paint with a light 2000 grit wet sand and a buff. The original paint is there, but someday when I become a lottery winner, I need to do a frame off on her.... But for now, the old lacquer will have to do.

Ciadella interiors in Arizona shows interior parts in gray for your car. I am pretty sure they can redo you side panels and sell you a front seat upholstery set and carpet without you having to buy a complete interior kit. Jon

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Jon, the original side panels were in really bad shape. The cardboard was so brittle that the edge clips couldn't get a good foothold. I kept the them, but they are in very poor condition. It would probably be better to just replace at this point.