1961 Impala SS 409 1 of 142

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Whoever wrote the description knows nothing about W engines. There was no 315 hp hydraulic (or solid) lifter engine in 61 nor was there a 335 hp solid lifter engine. They got the 305 hp hyd lifter engine right but left off the 305 hp solid lifter engine.
Looks like a great car though.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'll be there watching, I live about 45 minutes from the auction...my wallet is empty for now, gotta go sell more toys...:rub

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Whoever wrote the description knows nothing about W engines. There was no 315 hp hydraulic (or solid) lifter engine in 61 nor was there a 335 hp solid lifter engine. They got the 305 hp hyd lifter engine right but left off the 305 hp solid lifter engine.
Looks like a great car though.
Cecil, I hadn't read that, the hold damn article is BS. There was only 4 different motors available with the Super Sport option. 305, 340, 350 and 360 horse motors and that BS about station wagon wheels Geez

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
How accurate is the car???
Is it truly numbers matching block to the Vin etc?

If so then this and the Dan Gurney car are almost the only ones that are in public eye that is with original block etc

Was 61 the first year of the grey painted valve covers?

Steve

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
How accurate is the car???
Is it truly numbers matching block to the Vin etc?

If so then this and the Dan Gurney car are almost the only ones that are in public eye that is with original block etc

Was 61 the first year of the grey painted valve covers?

Steve
1961 did not have the VIN stamped in the block. So far as the silver painted valve covers, 61 was the first year and only the 409 had them. The Gurney block did have the VIN but it was not stamped by Chevrolet, it was stamped by Customs when the car was shipped overseas.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Tommy,

So in reality the 61 SS 409 impalas can only go on tell tails that all you guys know to tell if it is a genuine SS

and then casting dates to determine if the block could have in fact been in that car from new?

Thanks for the information

So 62 first year of Vin number on block officially by GM?

Steve

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Thanks Tommy,

So in reality the 61 SS 409 impalas can only go on tell tails that all you guys know to tell if it is a genuine SS

and then casting dates to determine if the block could have in fact been in that car from new?

Thanks for the information

So 62 first year of Vin number on block officially by GM?

Steve
Yes, 62 was the first year for the VIN on the block

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
You called it.
The bids got to 70 and it didn’t hit the reserve.No sale.
That could mean they did not get a legit bid on the car. If you read the Mecum bid rules they reserve the right to bid a vehicle up to the reserve. They do that to quickly get the bid up near the reserve and speed the auction process. They get it up near the reserve then drop out in hopes the bidding wil continue. This means if the car had a 75k reserve and the bidding stopped at 70k then they may not have had a "real bid".

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That could mean they did not get a legit bid on the car. If you read the Mecum bid rules they reserve the right to bid a vehicle up to the reserve. They do that to quickly get the bid up near the reserve and speed the auction process. They get it up near the reserve then drop out in hopes the bidding wil continue. This means if the car had a 75k reserve and the bidding stopped at 70k then they may not have had a "real bid".
Right on Tommy.......:good........my brother was in this business for 50 years and he told me to never bid on a car that
the reserve was still set because you can't buy it until the reserve is removed or passed. Once the reserve is off and
you are still interested then bid away.....:brow.... by bidding while the reserve is still set gives your intentions away and the
seller or auction house (who know their shills) can push you along........:confused. We have bought countless cars at several auctions
and this has usually worked very well for us......:bow