1961 Impala Stock Sway Bar Question

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Gang,
Reassembling my frontend and came to a question. I purchased the year specific sway bar bushing (I thought) from Ecklers. However when I got them in, they just don’t look right. The bushings look to narrow and tall for the stock bracket. Can anyone shed some light on what I might be messing up on? The factory bar is 11/16. The new bushings are polyurethane.

I’ll upgrade the bar down the road, but for now I’m staying with the stock unit. I’ve attached a few pics for clarity.
Thanks all!361FDC84-A527-41B0-B18F-F5FC148D6F23.jpeg3E95FABB-2F11-4596-9259-33A120B6ADD2.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The reproduction bushings (like the one in your pictures) are not correct, as you found out.
i reuse any nice originals that I have or buy NOS ones ( if I can find them) .
I have a addco aftermarket 1” bar on one of my 62’s and 2 original sway bars on my other 62’s with the original bushings that actually have rib in the top that fits the original ribbed metal mount( the one in your pictures).

the addco bar is a bolt up to the factory mounting holes in the frame. Others have recommended this bar to improve handling and because it fits the factory frame mounting holes and factory stabilizer bushings to the lower v-8 A-frames.
Paul

El Rat

Well Known Member
I added urethane bushings and adjusted mine using the correct bolt and spacer. Really improved the handling. I’ve attached a picture that shows the way we received it.
F3F2F93B-6F0E-4A01-B1D5-9F500452F5D1.jpeg

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well for those of you who are still running the 11/16” stock front anti-sway bar, you’ll need to order the 1960-1962 Corvette rear stabilizer bar bushing. It seems the bracket used on Impala is the same that’s used on the aforementioned year Vettes. Live and learn....61AA4EDB-6A5C-4F90-84EC-3B2832BEFD4D.jpeg