1961 Nomad SS 4 speed wagon

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Stumbled across a 1961 Nomad 9 passenger wagon. Has power windows, seats, A/C, P/S, Electronic Eye auto dimmer, completely covered with accessories. It's a 348, 280 HP, 3x2's of course. Since it needed some work I decided to change it up a little.
I thought it would be great to make a 1961 Nomad SS 4 speed 9 passenger wagon. We took the turbo glide out, installed clutch pedals, added a 4 speed, had Ciadela make the interior and added a third light on the tail gate like Impala cars. Wagons only have 2 each side. I have another set of SS stuff so we added the grab bar, emblems for the tail gate and sides. The sides will show SS Nomad.
Since I thought it would make a good car to pile my 11 grandkids into(rear seat faces backward), I thought it would also be a great tow car for the other 61. I'm painting it black like the Impala and really can't wait to get in on the road. Hopefully it goes into the paint shop this week. It will be black with a black stripe and a red interior like the Impala.
Here are a few photos, hope you like it as much as we have attempting to get it out of the body shop()

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Will be a wagon version of this.

image.jpeg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pat, I love it...:winner
I have a friend that has a factory black red interior 348 61 Nomad I sold him all the 4-speed stuff to swap it over and have been hounding him to put the grab bar and SS emblems on it...:brow

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is going to look way cool when done, be sure to keep the photo's coming. Keep up the great work.

Gav

bobs409

Administrator
That is gonna be nice!!! :love

I'm starting to like the wagons more and more. Must be a sign of getting old or something... :rub :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Pat:

I like it, nice project!

After seeing a few 1961 Pontiac wagons that were used as tow cars, I think you've got a great candidate there :).

Keep us posted as things develop, we know it will be First Class!

Cheers! TomK

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Pat, I really like the car and also the way you talked yourself into doing it!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Wow, that is so cool!! Now are you going to flat tow your '61 or trailer it? :D
Great question.

As I think this through I might very well flat tow the 61-09 car, however I specifically remember towing my old 61 and having to tie the steering wheel to the vent window post because as I made a turn and/or hit a dip in the road sometimes I would look back and see the front wheels being pulled sideways down the street. Then I had to get out of the car, go back, straighten the wheels, get back in while everyone was honking at me and off I would go again.

On second thought its probably easier to put air shocks on the wagon and use a trailer :) :)

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Pat,

Did you leave fake louvers off below the rear window for a reason?

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Pat,

Did you leave fake louvers off below the rear window for a reason?
Nope, holes are still there, back up in the body shop. As you know when those are rechromed everything is stripped off and then the black has to be repainted. Also missing left front lower valance and some of the interior trim.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Really like what your doing with the 61 Pat. As cool as it would be to flat tow with it, back in the day when some very big name racers flat towed, seems a lot of them lost race cars to towing accidents.