1961 VS 1962 windshields?

denson1932

Well Known Member
Can anyone explain what the difference was back then between these windshields (both being the 30" tall one); a W607 (Hollander #2215) listed for all 1961 Chevy passenger except Convert....and a W609 (Hollander #2204) listed for all 1962 Chevy passenger except Convert. or 2-Dr Hardtop. Was the EZ-EYE tint changed for 1962 year? Nowadays they are listed as interchangeable....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Look at this listing for 61 and 62 Chevy glass from Auto City Classic in Minnesota.
http://www.autocityclassic.com/1961-1962-chevrolet-glass-page-3/

I get all my glass from them (6 -62's over the years) . You could call them, I have found them very helpful over the years.
All 55 to 64 Chevys I have seen (100's of them ) all had E-Z-Eye stamped in the original glass if they had tinted windows from the factory. Replacement tinted glass on a number of cars I have seen were not stamped.

I order my glass with the E-Z-Eye stamping on the new glass and the correct date code (thats the type of restorations I do so I want the correct stamping).

Paul

denson1932

Well Known Member
Well, yes and no "same exact windshield"...now today in 2016 the W607 and W609 windshield are listed as interchangeable...But there HAD to be some difference between the two of them back then to warrant two different stock numbers! Anyone who installed back then can tell me the difference??? BTW the 1961-62 Convert and 1962 Impala HT windshield (the 28" tall one) carries W608 stock number.

denson1932

Well Known Member
Yes I agree that they are the same windshield NOW but I cannot believe they were assigned two different numbers back in 1961<>1962 unless there was some difference...those who agree with me please vote--------HERE.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
...Was the EZ-EYE tint changed for 1962 year?...

If the tint was changed, one would expect the '61 Convertible glass to also have a different part number than the '62 Convertible / Hardtop glass.

Does it really matter whether you have a W607 or W609 if they're physically interchangeable and match the tint of the rest of your windows?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tint or not is not a part of the part number. There is a suffix that designates the tint combination or lack of, such as GBN, GTN etc

montemike79

Well Known Member
I have a question about factory tinting. My '62 has tinted windshield and rear glass and is stamped soft ray. Is this not correct, or was that what came from the factory ? I believe the side glass has been changed out at some point because it is clear.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clear or tint can be original. Many cars had clear sides and tinted front. If the rear glass is orig and is tinted chances are the sides were also.

montemike79

Well Known Member
I believe the windshield and rear window are original and never been removed, but the side glass I am unsure. The car still has original paint so that makes me believe it has never been removed. I was just wondering if the stamping is supposed to say EZ-Eye or Soft Ray, because the glass I have says Soft Ray.

montemike79

Well Known Member
Just went out and looked, everything is PPG safety plate except for the vent windows, which have LOF. But the windshield and rear glass soft ray the windshield says shaded. I am assuming this means they are not original ? Would anything on the cowl tag correspond to tinted glass? My tag next to ACC is stamped EFB. I haven't been able to find what that stands for.

Thanks for the info, sorry if I am hijacking the post, I figured it was related due to tinting being mentioned earlier.

montemike79

Well Known Member
I've been doing some reading and date code research, it appears all the glass in my car is from mid 1961, but PPG. I am just trying to figure out why all of the windows would have been replaced ? There wouldn't be any chance this car had PPG class from the factory would there ? I haven't been able to find much on the internet besides here on factory glass for these cars, most of what I find is later '60s.

I appreciate the info

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
LOF was the supplier for GM. I've never heard of PPG from factory. What dates appear on the PPG?

montemike79

Well Known Member
Ha, I guess anything is possible. The date codes on the glass are June and July 1961, according to the date code information I've found on the internet.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I seem to recall one or more TSB's on glass issues. I'll see if I can find them.