1962 409 Biscayne

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At Great Bend I displayed the car with some 1962 South Dakota plates I found here. They would have been on my uncles 54 Plymouth back then. Their number is 7-10433 . I joked a bit that my uncle could have got there sooner and got the plates that ended in 409.
Digging around in Dads stuff last weekend I found that my dad got there later but his timing was good.:winner

Attachments

• HPIM1149.JPG
    HPIM1149.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
At Great Bend I displayed the car with some 1962 South Dakota plates I found here. They would have been on my uncles 54 Plymouth back then. Their number is 7-10433 . I joked a bit that my uncle could have got there sooner and got the plates that ended in 409.
Digging around in Dads stuff last weekend I found that my dad got there later but his timing was good.:winner
Very cool, I sure do like 62 Biscayne's :D

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
My Dad used to go to dealer and shop sell outs and buy stuff. Some of it we used to go to swap meets and sell. I got to go through the books and ID and label them. Some of the stuff is still around. Tom Kochtanek told me he thought I might be a hoarder, Maybe, but what's wrong with that?
The first tires I found to fit the narrow Keystones were some old Moroso fronts that were on my back half '62 when I got it.
Since Great Bend I located these in Dads stash and put them on.
From the DOT numbers they look to be NOS 1966 tires.

NOS.... Neat Old Sh!t That's for sure!;)

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Timing is everything. When I bought the 63 I went to the courthouse to pay the tax and get plates and I was 11 people too late. Could have had 18W409 rather than 18W420!
:wah:wah

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm real lucky dads timing 53 years ago worked out for me. The plates are on the car now.
I have sent in the pictures of the plates to the SD DOT to register them to the Biscayne as year of manufacture historical plates. I haven't heard back if they are in good enough condition for them yet.:dunno

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It has been said that patience is a virtue. I sent in the photos of the 1962 7-12409 plates for the car and pictures of some 1961 plates I found for the 1961 Viking truck to the state of South Dakota to register them as permanent historical plates in mid Sept.. I was told it is a 4-6 week wait for the process.

I got the registration back for the truck postmarked Nov. 13th.
I have been waiting for the car registration.:dunno2 Thinking I should send another set of pictures and request an answer to why the registration was held up?:poke. Didn't do it yet.

Today I get the registration for the '62 postmarked Feb 1st :winner:appl.

Topstrap

Well Known Member
Seems any plate with 409 on it is hard to find or really expensive when you do find one. Nobody seemed to want these on eBay a while back but they are close enough for me.

9nku.jpg

Dennis

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It has been said that patience is a virtue. I sent in the photos of the 1962 7-12409 plates for the car and pictures of some 1961 plates I found for the 1961 Viking truck to the state of South Dakota to register them as permanent historical plates in mid Sept.. I was told it is a 4-6 week wait for the process.

I got the registration back for the truck postmarked Nov. 13th.
I have been waiting for the car registration.:dunno2 Thinking I should send another set of pictures and request an answer to why the registration was held up?:poke. Didn't do it yet.

Today I get the registration for the '62 postmarked Feb 1st :winner:appl.
Here in Washington you just walk into the DOL with the collector plate you want to run pay your registration fee and walk back out with your new registration, title shows up in 2-3 weeks. On collector cars you only need to run a back plate so if you have a matched set you can use the other plate on another collector car if you like. Yes same plate on two different cars...:deal

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In good ole Pa., on a newly purchased / licensed vehicle(classic or antique), you have to send a very clear picture of the plate you want to use with the paper work and DOUBLE the payment of a regular classic plate. If the plate is approved, the first payment is to register the car with the normal classic plate and the second payment is to switch the registration to your plate. What a racket.