1962 409 generator brackets

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Rusty has been having a problem installing his power steering on his 62. Seems the upper power steering bracket was interfering with his generator bracket. He asked me for some help so I thought I would post it here in case anyone else was having the same problem.

The front bracket is different for standard steering and for power steering. The part number on the standard front bracket is #3745504 and it is stamped into the back side of the bracket. It also has a large C stamped into the back side. The bracket for power steering is #3755720 and that number is not stamped into the bracket I have. The #3755720 bracket does have a large D stamped into the front side.

You can see in the side photo, the standard steering bracket on top. The PS bracket on the bottom. See how the bend in the PS bracket is further out and therefore...clears the upper power steering pump bracket.

On the Show Cars brackets that we sell, they do not have a separate listing for the power steering applications.

The upper generator adjusting braces are different between these 2 applications also as is the generator side bracket.

Now before someone gets all excited, this is the only PS bracket I have and I need it for a 62 380HP 409 project. Sorry but it is the only one I have.

Hope this helps somebody!!

Attachments

• 409generatorbrackets1.jpg
    409generatorbrackets1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 409generatorbrackets2.jpg
    409generatorbrackets2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 167

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bracket????

That doesn't look like, that would be too hard to make.:clap

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
1962 409 Generator Bracket

Phil,
Those are just the pics I've been looking for. Could you give a measurement on the p/s bracket from the vertical edge on the head to the first bend, then to the next bend and then to the end of the bracket. I think this should be a no brainer.
Thanks,
Rusty

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
dimensions

Sorry to be so slow in getting this for you Rusty.

I made up this drawing with dimensions for you. Hope you can read it. If it doesn't come out big enough in this format, just let me know and I can fax you a copy.

Attachments

• 6162348409psbracket.jpg
    6162348409psbracket.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 160

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
dimensions

Phil,
Thank you for the trouble you went to. Would have bought one but the dimensions that Show Cars show seem a little off ???. I can't figure out where they get that 6 1/2" dimension. This bracket would work for either non p/s or p/s application....kinda stupid IMO for two different brackets ?
Thanks again, you da man.
Rusty

CHEV601234

Well Known Member
Thanks for the ad Phil, .and thanks BOB, for allowing certain individuals to post theri ads on the forums!!!!

Didn't know that was a new policy....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not an advertisement

I did not think of this as some sort of advertisement, this seemed to me to be information that those who were looking for PS solutions might be able to use for their own personal installations.

To quote Phil Reed:

"Now before someone gets all excited, this is the only PS bracket I have and I need it for a 62 380HP 409 project. Sorry but it is the only one I have.

Hope this helps somebody!!"

If that's an advertisement, I must be in the wrong hobby :).

Cheers,
TomK

P.S. I had PS on my original '62 SS car when it had the 283 and the PG. When we "redid" the drive train to include a 409 stroker and a T-10 Borg Warner, all my buddies insisted that I remove the PS and go back to "Armstrong steering". I deferred to their wishes. To each his own :)!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the ad Phil, .and thanks BOB, for allowing certain individuals to post theri ads on the forums!!!!

Looks to me like Phil posted Rusty Question so others on the form might benefit form the information Phil had to offer. It also looks like it was a successful ending...:clap :clap Isn't that what this form is about?:cheers :cool:

bobs409

Administrator

If you don't mind, (don't know what your name is) I'll decide what I will or will not allow on my own forum. Phil was helping someone out that asked. I agree, Phil's one reply was "ad" like when he mentions the price and that he has them, but since Phil hasn't made a habit out this, (and is a nice enough guy) :) I see no reason to make a big deal out of it.

Bob

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Thanks for the info

In the spirit of "helping somoene out", thanks Phil.

I have been struggling to figure this out for our 61 348 3x2 project. I know that there are two differnet types of brackets for 61 348 , but had no idea what the difference was.

Phil, do you know if these same numbers were used for 61 and 62? It seems they would be, but there were so many changes.

And oh, BTW..Thanks for anticipating what my question would have been, when you said you only have one for your project:D

Best Regards
Gar Gibb

59wright

I am istalling a generator on my 348 I have a generator from my 235 will it work?

I got 2 brackets from show cars but might need the bottom bracket? any pics of what it looks like?

Could someone take a pic for me of a generator installed on a 348 showing all 3 brackets?

Thanks

Beau

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Best Regards
Gar Gibb"

Look who crawled out from under the rock!!!!!!!!! Gar, where have you been? Will we see you in Ohio?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I thought it was very nice of Phil and shows that he is indeed a premium member. The guy made a how to drawing of how to beat your self out of a sale, how cool is that? Don't sound like blowing your oun horn to me! Back off!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here are a few pics I took. I hope they help. Guess I need to get in there and do some cleaning....:eek:

Attachments

• generator backet front.jpg
    generator backet front.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 117
  • Generator Bracket power steering.jpg
    Generator Bracket power steering.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 127
  • Generator Bracket to Manifold.jpg
    Generator Bracket to Manifold.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 120

59wright

Tripower thanks for the pics Is the bottom bracker as long as the opening between generator mounting tabs? is there a way to get a pic from all the way under I am not sure if that is possible but my generator mounting tab in the rear is hitting my bottom bracket not allowing the generatot to sing close to the engine. All the way out is where I currently have it and there is no adjustment for the belt.

Thanks

Beau