1962- 409 (RC 70 Tach Question)

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Some of these have clamp mounts and some were mounted with trim screws. Which one is correct for the 1962?

Ron

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
From the factory, the 61 and 62 would have used two trim screws to mount the tach head to the side of the steering column. Chrome tach cup with a black bracket. The aftermarket Sun tachs cam with a screw clamp and a strip of black rubber, to protect the steering column. Hope this helps!

FYI, all RC 7 tach heads were bascically the same; no-redline, redline, red-football, what ever. You can get a RC 7 head and have a face put on for whatever application you want. If you want a factory look tach, get an aftermarket one (they all need to be rebuilt and refaced anyway) and have a tach rebuilder put on the 327 or the 409 redline face. You'll also want to have them rebuild the EB9A sender for solid state. No more mercury batteries!

Ross

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
62 Tach question

Impalaguru, My new 1962 Chevy came from the factory with the screw clamp and rubber. I was at the dealer when it rolled off the truck. Also had a friend who ordered a new 62, it also came with the screw clamp and rubber. This was very early in the model year.:scratch

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was going from memory of an old post at the old 409 (yahoo) chat board. Probably 4 years ago. I remember that there was a long debate on that subject. I think someone eventually posted the part numbers for the brackets and even the screws! Of course thats only one way it could have been done. I'm sure it look extra time to drill those little holes so maybe some did come out with the clamp for a period of time.
I bought an NOS RC7 (no redline) tach head, NOS EB9A, and all the NOS installation harware (a complete pakage) and it came with a clamp. The cup had two brackets. One for a curved surface and one for a flat surface.
I guess in those days as long as it wasn't dangling from the steering column it was OK!
Ross

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"My new 1962 Chevy came from the factory with the screw clamp and rubber."

This is strange, considering the '61's were screw mounted.:dunno

munger345

W Head said:
Impalaguru, My new 1962 Chevy came from the factory with the screw clamp and rubber. I was at the dealer when it rolled off the truck. Also had a friend who ordered a new 62, it also came with the screw clamp and rubber. This was very early in the model year.:scratch

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

My 62 SS 409 was delivered later in the year. [late April] It was mounted to the column with two small chrome screws.

Eldon