1962 A/C

Junky

Well Known Member
Trying to button up everything so I can have my car ready for Labor Day car show, so on Monday, I started to finish up the A/C. Got all the hoses done, and they were a royal pain to get them all properly seated on the hose barbs. Push, push, and push some more until finally they are on next to the ring that shows where to stop. Get out the compressor, and clean up the outside, and give the pulley a spin, and the bearing is noisy. Pull the front of the compressor off, remove bearing, and regrease it, and put everything back together. This compressor didn't have any problems when it came off, so I figure that I am good to go. Put oil into compressor, mount on car, and pull a vacuum for a few hours. Holds the vacuum, so I put 150 pounds of nitrogen in, and it holds that overnight. Great, the system is tight. Next is to change the drier, and that is no easy task with the grille in, but I finally get the old one out, and the replacement installed. Pull another vacuum, and it is holding perfectly. Pressurize with nitrogen to 150 PSI, and this morning it is down to 140! Check all my fittings and everything is still tight.. I hear some very slight hiss or what sounds like breaking bubbles, so I start looking for where it is coming from. Finally pin it down, and it is the compressor front seal. Going to be next spring before I will want to tackle this job. I don't have one tool that is necessary!!
To top it off, the small pop up shade shelter that I was working under collapsed overnight, since we had some bad thunder storms. The cover filled with water, and the thin aluminum frame is bent like a pretzel...

Junky

Well Known Member
I turned it a number of times, to make sure that the oil wasn't trapped in the piston below the head. It is an original A6 compressor with the ceramic seal. It wasn't leaking when it was taken off, and everything was good on the first testing. Don't know why is failed overnight, but it might be that the fresh oil was sealing the shaft where it goes through the ceramic seal. First year for the field serviceable A6 compressor, and it requires a very delicate hand to get the old one out, and the new one in. It has to be done on the bench to do it right. Oh well, it will give me a chance to install the oil diaper that stops the oil slinging on the hood.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Seems as I remember when those compressors tended to leak down over the winter when they weren't being used and needed a shot of freon in the spring and to run the compressor to lubricate and seal the shaft.

Junky

Well Known Member
Thanks for the offer of tools. I have most of what I need, and the couple that I don't have are not that expensive, so I will buy them if necessary. I am hoping that once there is Freon in the system, the front seal will seal again. Spoke to the tech guy at Classic Air in Tampa, and he said to give it a try.
Now, I am having another problem. I can't find a belt that will fit the pulleys. I had NAPA look it up, and the belt that they gave me is way too short. Then I measured around the pulleys with an electrical cord, and got 56 1/2". Went back and got a 57 1/2" belt, and it was still too short. Went back, and picked up a 58 1/2" belt, and it is still too short. After checking all the adjustments, and feeling confident that I have everything loose on the compressor, I have come to the conclusion that Gates is rounding up on the width, and that the belts are sitting way too high in the pulleys. Paul (PVS409) on ChevyTalk, said that he is using a Goodyear belt #15585.
Searching the parts books, I come up with belt number 3820798, and then a later book shows it as a 3764348. It started out as a 15/32" x56 1/2", and then became a 3/8" x 56 1/2" belt. I believe now, that the Gates belt is too wide, and doesn't sit down in the pulley sufficiently. I did look for the Goodyear belt, and on one site, I found that it is being "rebranded" as a Continental belt. Didn't chase it down to see if Goodyear sold out their belt division, or it is just that website that is rebranding the Goodyear belts and now selling Continental belts. Too much consolidation in auto parts to keep up with it all.

http://gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=65141

Last edited:

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Conti-tech (Continental) purchased the Goodyear belt and hose division about 4 years ago from Veyance Technologies which was an employee buy out from Goodyear over 10 years ago.

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
I got a belt that fit today, and put it on and ran the compressor on and off a few times to seat the seal. Then I left the engine running with the compressor engaged, and put a full charge of Freon in. I glance up at the windshield, and it is all steamed up. Open the door and look down at the carpet, and I can see that the heater core is leaking. I had it out last fall and had it checked by the radiator shop, and it checked out OK. I must have broken a hose nipple when I put it back into the car. I will have to pull it out tomorrow and see what went wrong. The shop owner said that he is so jammed up with work, that he can't even look at it till the end of the month. Looks like I am going to be learning how to repair heater core leaks.

Junky

Well Known Member
This is my original core that didn't leak. I took it out to replace the heater shut off valve. Had it checked at the radiator shop, and all was good. I do have a spare that I can use if I have to. It is a pain to get out, and more difficult to get back in without help.

Junky

Well Known Member
After it was tested, I had hoped that I would get at least the rest of my lifetime out of it. My radiator was cleaned, and it is still solid and not leaking. I am older than the car, and I have no replacement parts in my body except for new lenses in my eyes. I have had a few parts refurbished, and removed, but other than my cardiac doctor telling me not to buy green bananas, I fell great. I am looking forward to another few decades.

Junky

Well Known Member
Got the heater box out today, and dismantled it. Washed everything down with water, and then decided to do a pressure test to find the leak. To make sure that all things were equal, I used the original corbin clamps that I had installed when I put the heater back in the last time. Much to my surprise, there were no leaks, with the exception of one. It is the damn corbin clamp that I had so much trouble getting off. When it goes back on this time, I am going to use 2 worm gear clamps. To hell with that minor detail of originality. I don't want to go through this a second time.
Also on the good news department, my air conditioner is holding its charge of Freon and it is blowing cold.

Junky

Well Known Member
At least you got to clean out the heater box.

I had already cleaned it out last fall when I put it back together, after having it out for cleaning and testing. Installed a new shut off at the same time. I think that this time, I am not going to put all the nuts back on till I pressure test it. Now, all I have to do is to find my radiator pressure tester. My tools keep going missing overnight. I know that there is a tool gremlin living in my garage, and only takes the tools that I will be needing for the next job.