1962 Alternator _ Generator

lloyd ray

Ok race fans need some info please:scratch :scratch when did they firststart putting alternators on in 62.I believe my car was built in april of 62.it has an alternator on it. It being an ambulance,it did not have a lot of lights on when i got it , but have since added two more lights on top,plus two spot lights one on each door,and some red flashing lights on each side of the front lic plate. So now when running in parade with lights and siren on in a long xslow parade it drains down fast.Need a serious upgrade on a bigger alternator,but want to stay as stock looking as possible what would be a good way to go,as far as an upgrade on our car ?? Thanks for the help,:clap :clap Lloyd Ray

munger345

1962 Alternator Generator

I don't know when they started useing them, but it seems to me all of the factory A/C equiped 62's I saw had alternators. Also I remember seeing some police cars with them.

Eldon

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
alternator

Try,,, Lestek in Texas. They should be able to get all you need. We had a 200amp built by them for our units. Just tell them what you want. Mike:) :)

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
alternator

Lloyd,Lestek out of business. Try Auto Elec,Serv. 800-695-1474 they are in Norfolk, Va, Mike:rolleyes:

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The alternator as we know them didn't come out until 1963. The 10 DN. In 1962 you could get an alternator but it looked VERY different from the 10 DN. It was the 20 DN. It was about 6" in diameter, internal fan, aluminum end plates with a perforated steel body. Unless you have one of those, I think your 62 sould have a higher out put generator.
Ross

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ross,
Actually there were two alternators or AC generators as they called them in 62. One was the 6" delcotron with the steel perforated case as you described and the other was the standard 5.5 " aluminum delctron like all the others with external regulators. I had a 62 Impala 250hp 327 with pg and factory air and it came with the aluminum alternator. I had to change a rectifier diode in it once. If you look in the facory service manual I think you will find the description and maintenance procedures for it. I don't have a 62 full size manual but it is in the 62 Chevy II service manual.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
D'oh!:doh I forgot about the alum. alternator in 62! You're 100%, Cecil!! I think I got confused about the alternators being standard in 1963. There's a nice picture and description in the 1962 shop manual. Thanks for correcting me!!:bow
Ross