1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That's a shame.:doh Just wondering, if an exhaust pushrod, (which is longer) got put in a intake pushrod's place?:dunno

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Skipxt4, I did think of that, so I took all of them out, one by one, measured them, put them back in there holes, all short in int. all long exhaust. Took the head down to the machine shop to have the valve replaced, and all of them ck'd for correctness. What can I use to clean up piston tops, I see some video's say carb cleaner and a little WD-40. Or is it that important? :think I guess just having them look clean would make me feel better. lol... thanks for the idea's and help.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I take a rag and spray it down with carb cleaner and let soak on top the piston, then you can just wipe it off.
It may take a few goes at it.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Good advice from all, I did use the vac to pickup the loose stuff.

As to Phil's question about why this all happened, I think I have the answer ! While driving my car home after sitting at my daughter for the winter, in Seattle there's the freeway, and a part of it goes down under the city in a tunnel, for a car pool type lane's, I took that, and I shifted into 2nd and thought I'd open up the cut-outs to hear the roar, well, in the confusion, I forgot i was in second, thinking, I was in 4th ran it up to 60 or so, for a short time, then noticed the tac was at 6000, and temp at 245 or 250, put it in neutral, and then 4th all the way home about 5 miles. I believe it got so hot it
stuck the valve at that time, and broke 1 pushrod and bent 1 pushrod. :doh

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Good advice from all, I did use the vac to pickup the loose stuff.

As to Phil's question about why this all happened, I think I have the answer ! While driving my car home after sitting at my daughter for the winter, in Seattle there's the freeway, and a part of it goes down under the city in a tunnel, for a car pool type lane's, I took that, and I shifted into 2nd and thought I'd open up the cut-outs to hear the roar, well, in the confusion, I forgot i was in second, thinking, I was in 4th ran it up to 60 or so, for a short time, then noticed the tac was at 6000, and temp at 245 or 250, put it in neutral, and then 4th all the way home about 5 miles. I believe it got so hot it
stuck the valve at that time, and broke 1 pushrod and bent 1 pushrod. :doh
You might think about hearing aid's!!! Lol.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im lucky to have many friends that are real car guys, racers, painters, body guys, well one of them call last night and said, are you going to take the other head off and see if there's any damage to it.?
I said, well? I had thought about it, don't think , do it. So today, I took it off. Now for the update on
passenger side head. I found two solid lifters missing there ring keepers, two of them had a 1/2 ring or grove around the top part. Pushrods are not bent but look a little suspect, so will take them down to machine shop for them to ck out. Glad I listened this time, you know, I might need hearing aids, along
with a lot of other aids....the beer does sound good.100_3621.jpg100_3620.jpg100_3619.jpg

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Exactly. Time for a cam and lifters, and a check on the valve springs and clearances at the least. Hate to be the bearer of bad news. Something isn't quite right here.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great Help, You know, after taking the pictures, I saw the difference in the lifters, I also knew you guys would pick that up like a hot slice of "pizza", and you did. Good going. I'll ck it out tomorrow. I did get one new pushrod and one new solid lifter, wonder if they gave me a wrong type. ? I have all the other ones out own the bench so I'll take a close look tomorrow, see if there all the same. Now if those little
C-clips came out, and broke into little pieces, WHERE would they go?. Oil pan? Anyway of flushing
cam or crank shaft ? I'll change oil with a paper filter to see if any metal comes out.
Any suggestions are more than welcome.. :ears

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Look in the valley where those lifters sit, all those little bits are travelling around there going who knows where, no where that is good.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I wouldn't think the 6,000 RPM would hurt anything, other than your lifter problems. Looks like you found the problem, but you really should address the over heating IMO.