1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Took the passenger head down today, they found a exhaust valve bent another pushrod bent, he said that the solid lifter was an old stock style made without a C-clip. Decided to buy new, lifters, pushrods, rockers, and have head valves fixed. They are thinking that the rings might not have seated properly, due to excessive fuel fixture washing down cylinders.
Phil, do you have to pull the cam out to check lobes? Silly question huh. I know you can see it in the valley, oh that sweet valley.... :love kinda lost it for a minute... sorry.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you're changing lifters on a flat tappet cam that's already broken in,change the cam as well.The cam and lifters must break in together or cam lobe failure can,and especially on a solid lifter cam likely will. Now's the time for a modern grind that will wake that engine up.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Any suggestions on the cam? Someone said I might have to pull the engine and have it re-honed and new rings?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless you have gas in the oil,I'd doubt that you need to worry about the rings.I can help with the cam,but to get it right,I need to know a few things like tire size,rear gear ratio,ACTUAL compression ratio[cc the thing if you have to].

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Don, appreciate the help, tires are 235 x60R x15 , 3:73 rear end, 11:1, its a stock 409 bored .30over to fit Ross pistons, stock crank, 425 cam, 690 stock heads, stock exhaust. 2x4 stock carbs.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan,Do you want to stay with solid lifters or would you want hyd.lifters?If your reasoning for solids is the "sound",there's a thing called Rhodes lifters that will give you that sound at an idle,but once adjusted,you'll never have to touch them again.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don, When I bought the engine I put it back with original thinking, I like the solid lifters, even the old rockers. I'll take a look at the Rhodes lifters, thanks....

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Well since this is a street car,I'd suggest either an 0951 or maybe an 0954 hyd.with Rhodes V-Max lifters.Either will work with the stock rockers,and possibly pushrods.That 0954 might be just a little too "Rowdy",even with the lifters adjusted at .020 however.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Cash: What brand of Pushrod's, were used in this engine?:dunno Were they stock length? :dunno Seems odd, that so many were bent.:doh

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi skipxt4,
They were stock 3/8 pushrods, this was all my fault, got the engine way to hot, for to long. I've since have rebuilt the heads, it was a costly mistake, (1000.00) with new 3/8 molly pushrods etc. I doubt this will happen again.? Putting the heads, intake, etc, back on today. For those that like pic's.

100_3627.jpg

100_3626.jpg

100_3625.jpg
Had all new seats, bought new lifters, rockers balls nuts, pushrods. 3 bent valve's , 1 broken pushrod, 2 bent pushrods
ONE "STUPID DRIVER"...... :crazy

100_3624.jpg

100_3623.jpg
I have 1 short bolt next to the Long red one? not sure if this is right or not. 18 long 8 short + extra semi short?

100_3622.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
"HAD ALL NEW SEATS"?????
I certainly hope you had those heads pressure checked!!!! If you have a problem you could lose your shortblock Stan!!!!!

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
What I really needed was a head job, or do they call those a frontal labobomy. I really like it when you guys throw in your thoughts, as a novice it really helps, just wished you were with me in the front seat, you could have said, shift stan, shift.... :roll:laugh2
Phil, I'll double ck on that pressure ck today. I did put the heads on yesterday, tightened them up as the manual said, a little at a time, in sequence, racket tight, then 25, 40,60,70. I did have 3 bolts that at 60 would not go any more, so I left them alone, any suggestions.? All the rest are at 70. Going to set the valve lash today at 12 exhaust - 18 int , before installing intake manifold.
I set the #1 piston on TDC, so I think Im good to start.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, Iowa 409 guy,
I did clean the block threads with a thread chaser, also cleaned and wire wheeled the bolts, put sealer on bolts. Im not sure if I went far enough when chasing for cleaning block threads, wasn't really sure about how far to go. As far as the lube goes, I did only spray
the bolts with WD-40, then the white bolt sealer. When installing the solid lifters, it says to put a blob of cam lube on bottom of lifter, i've pre-oil them, how about the pushrods, do you pre-oil those also?. When installing pushrod to rockers and nuts, are you suppose
to use a special locking lube on the nuts?. Just questions? thanks for the help.