1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
No, after your informing of this I did check with the machine shop, after I had put them back on, they didn't do the test,
so I guess?. I could take them off, I haven''t put the intake on yet. What's your opinion, and why is this so important,?
oh, by the way, thanks for looking out for me, I do appreciate your advice. stan

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan,putting seats in these heads is VERY tricky at best.They are easily ruined if the person doing the work isn't very familure with them.Pull them back off and have the pressure test done.Phil's likely seen this before,on multiple occasions.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would talk to the shop that did the heads and get some clarification on exactly what they did before you pull them off. Find out did they just cut or touch up the existing seats in the head or did the actually install new seat inserts? Looking at the picture of the head you posted it doesn’t look like it has inserts in them at least not like the set I have that have inserts and leak.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dammit Stan....now I am forced to show you my favorite 690 heads!!!!!!!
20180901_161208.jpg20180901_161221.jpg20180901_161238.jpg20180901_161235.jpg
Top picture shows all eight valve pockets have been machined for seats. Intakes have seats put in. Exhaust...not so much. Second picture shows how the machine cut into the exhaust water jacket. 3rd picture shows the "attemped" repairs. 4th picture shows an almost perfect weld repair!!!!!!
Stan...right now you are out a set of head gaskets to have your heads pressure checked. And I would do it with water!!! Not doing this, you are putting your whole engine in jeopardy. Your call. I'm off my soap box now.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Going out on Wednesday to help pick up "3" 1963 Impala's, 1 is a Gold Color, has a 409 in it, the other are ? These were on Creigs List a while back In Bellingham Wa. We've got 4 trailers and 8 guys on this mission, lol... should be a hoot, nothing like the hunt. :woohoo

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:scared2 :doh I listened , I read, especially the ones from Phil, the pictures for sure. In the end, I put it back together, and will hope for the best. I do take your advice seriously, and do like your input.
thanks. Cashguzzler...... hopefully still a 409 after starting it up.:dunno

Here's the list of what they did at the machine shop,
12- 3/8 Guide Liners. 24.00
12- Install Guides 72.00
Grind Valves Seats 200.00
Replaced 3 ex. valves & 2 int valves 70.00
New solid lifters 101.00
New Moly pushrods 101.00
New rocker Arm 101.00
Intake-Head-Ex- Gaskets 140.00
Break-in Oil Assmb. Lube 60,00
Misc. Anti Freeze 35.00
Freight 58.00
Labor 272.00

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sorry skipxt4, just couldn't hold myself back, but did love your response. Today is the day we're going to fire it up,
so fingers crossed Phil? hoping it will run and be ok. :pray I did take the groups advice
and went to the none-glass type filter.

100_3651.jpg

Last edited: