1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
After my long last drive, thought I'd finally change oil and filter, went with Driven HR-1 15-50 with long filter in original can. As usual had trouble getting canister pushed up and seated, and then tightened. When all done, of course I noticed it was leaking like a sieve. Finally figured out I had forgot to take out the last rubber seal, ok, got that taken care of, put it back together, no leaks. Now.... started it up, no oil pressure in gauge. :wtftook off the canister again, checked the part that is held in by two bolts into block. I believe the bypass value is not working right, so Im going to replace it. The spring seemed to be sticking. Going to go with a replacement screw on. Hope that solves the gauge problem.
On the bright side of things, I've got a lead on buying a 3721sb carb ($65.00) , and a 3 piece front bumper(100.00) new, rechromed, for the SS car.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back on the road again, I did replace the oil canister as the bypass spring was sticking, the gauge problem was just my failure to reinstall enough lost oil to bring it back to full. Then the gauge I think might have had a air bubble, or maybe it
was me that had the air bubble.? anyway the gauge in the dash does work, thank GOD. Change plugs today, plugs are still black, so will have to change carb jets/or metering rods, or might try hotter plugs. Took the car out for another tank of gas, its called the "guzzler" for a reason. It runs hard, is fast. It runs cool at 180 so I'm happy with that. Just another day with a smile on my face. :burnout:driver cashless in Seattle

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for the Thumps Up, its always better than the middle finger. lol. Took the Guzzler out to my daughters for the winters stay, she has a large 3 car garage and is nice enough to allow me to park it their until May. Jenny is the one that bought the 69 Camaro convertible last year. Now, this gives me more room to work on the 62 SS car in my garage.

Her Smile say's it ALL....
000_0260.jpeg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just spent the last hour on the free way from Sea/Tac to North Seattle, in the 409 CASHguzzler. I can not tell you how good i feel.:burnout:woohoo After having the motor gone through last summer, its running like I
knew it should. I finally had to do it.... found that quite, no one around spot... slowed down, and yes
put the pedal to the floor, it roared like the monster it was, burning rubber until i took my foot off the gas.
WOW... Now I'm ready for the 4th of July 348/409 Meet at SIR in Seattle. Have a nice day.... :drinking stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
After letting the 409 cool down I decided to do a check on little things under the hood, thighting valve cover screws, intake bolts,
carb bolts etc. I found on (1) of the front carb bolts,it wouldn't tighten up, it was the stud that was the problem. It seems that it
does not have threads to hold it in so the bolt will fasten right. Not ever thinking about this before, how would you go about
fixing this without taking off the manifold? Thanks for the help. stan

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for guys for the idea's and help, its sure nice to have the "nine" back on the road. I still have to fix the turn signal switch as it isn't working on the right turn side, not to big of a problem there, also have to fix problem with dash lights not working, just little things, horn.
.100_3873.jpeg

55Brodie

Well Known Member
After letting the 409 cool down I decided to do a check on little things under the hood, thighting valve cover screws, intake bolts,
carb bolts etc. I found on (1) of the front carb bolts,it wouldn't tighten up, it was the stud that was the problem. It seems that it
does not have threads to hold it in so the bolt will fasten right. Not ever thinking about this before, how would you go about
fixing this without taking off the manifold? Thanks for the help. stan
You could try Loctite Form A Thread. The stuff works and should only set you back around twenty bucks.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Stan....glad to hear you are done with your project!!!!!!
Guess you got your front seat corrected!!!!!!!!!!!!

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Oh Phil, what would we do without. your humor? :good Yesterday checked all spark plugs as they were black and oily before, now
they are better after a few more miles on the road, a little more on the dark brown side, a few still black sooty, but not bad. Changing
oil today to a thinner oil 10/30, and working on my favorite thing, ?
turn signals.:bonk The sun is out in Seattle, but our Great Gov. like
most DEM'S, has us still in lock down. Its kind of funny that the
O'Reily's auto part store's are open, but not a lot of other business? Wonder how that works?:scratch cash

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Took the CASHguzzler409 out to the Friday nite car show, as usual she didn't like being out of the garage, and she threw a fit, it wouldn't shift into 1st gear, seemed to be hung up, beings it was only about 5 miles and I had told a friend I'd meet him there I had to go. It was fun and met some nice guys, one who had an original 62 biscayne 409 car that was at
one time a Cali. record holder, he said, until Haden Profitt came along. WELL, as I was ready to leave the old girl, she still was pissed at me, and would not move. It seems the
parking brake was stuck. So a friend help me with that. Im going to change the name of
this car to Christene II, until she starts behaving as she should. I worked on her yesterday, and found the shifting problem was my rear back-up light switch arm rod had moved over
and wedged itself in-between the reverse gear. AS for the parking brake, haven't gotten
to that yet. The car did get a lot of attention which is always nice, but?:furious enough said.