1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Its been 1 year to the day since I brought our 62 409 Bubble car back top from Illinois. Most people and even some on this site
said, those guys are crazy, but when its all done, we'll be in 409 Heaven. We've come a long ways in that year, spent ton's of money, but have really enjoyed the restoration of this car. We have bought, cleaned and sandblasted and painted all our small parts, their just waiting to be put on. The frame has been restored and just waiting to install our 409 when it comes back from the machine shop. We have had all the chrome work done, bumpers, windows etc. Once the body work is finished, we're ready for paint, as the other panels are all wet sanded and waiting. We still have to get tires, I've been kind of on a wheel buying jag, now up to 16 rims, of different sizes. We would like to have a set of original bias tires, to complete the 62 look, as well as a set of radials, maybe even a set of slick's on the back. We still have the interior package to buy, but might just pick that up at Ciadella's after the Kansas convention, in Phoenix AZ, as its on my way home. This 348/409 forum has been the great info for us, as this is our first car in this category. With all the nice comments from all of you on this site, it has been a gas.... There's so much knowledge here its unbelievable. I enjoy just reading all of the threads, to see who is doing what, and how their car is coming. To those who run this site. Keep up the good work.
:cheers:bow

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've enjoyed following your thread too and great progress for 1 year.

Don

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Barry (my partner) uses Dura-glass over all the welds he makes, closing out the moisture, and then applies bondo over that to make a smooth finish, it all
helps keep the rust from returning. Well after a week of sanding that cement like stuff, we've decided to do the bondo work before turning
the car over and starting on the bottom welds. As most know sanding is one of the worst parts of restorations. These are some of the pictures of a friend,
Brain doing his magic on the quarter panel. If you didn't know, I DO almost all the
sanding, sweeping up afterwards, make coffee, run for dognuts, you know the very hard
precise work stuff.
:crazy:blah

100_1533.JPG 100_1535.JPG 100_1536.JPG 100_1538.JPG 100_1541.JPG 100_1542.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1543.JPG
    100_1543.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 100_1528.JPG
    100_1528.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_1532.JPG
    100_1532.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Look-in good! It looks like it won't be long before you're shooting on the paint. Great progress in such a short time!!:beer:clap:congrats

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Stan,
Looks great, the firewall looks like it fit great. Before long your body might catch up to my 62 SS 409 convert(its about a week and a 1/2
away from paint. I will be finally posting pictures of my work on everything on the site.
Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Stan,
Looks great, the firewall looks like it fit great. Before long your body might catch up to my 62 SS 409 convert(its about a week and a 1/2
away from paint. I will be finally posting pictures of my work on everything on the site.
Paul
Hurry up we like picture's!!!!!!!!:D:D

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Paul, the parts we bought from you helped immensely, both front and rear. We're working on it everyday, and this stage is all labor intensive
but I like doing it. Like everyone else, we love to see pictures, and yours will be special, as I know how much work it is.
:cheers

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
If you plan to pick up your interior from Ciadelia after the convention you should order it now. They don't stock them, they are made to order.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Great idea Paul, I did get an estimate, for the pkg __+ them installing the seat covers and 1/4's. Im not to sure how many more cans of cash
i can find in the back yard. Hopefully, a few more will do it.
:love

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
. Have faith I think it will end but one has to wonder sometimes. But looks as if you sure are doing it right and will have quite a treasure. 62 is actually my favorite year. To me that is the year the 409's really came on board. A guy in our town bought a blue 409 409 new. Whipped everyone around. That is when I fell in love with the "W's"..Not too many things get much better. Butch

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Great idea Paul, I did get an estimate, for the pkg __+ them installing the seat covers and 1/4's. Im not to sure how many more cans of cash
i can find in the back yard. Hopefully, a few more will do it.
:love
I sometimes go and find the can is empty!!!!!:cuss:cuss

Last edited:

409fanatic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
OH, I forgot to mention. If you are married the wife will usually have a little less faith that it will ever be done than you. Ours is done but the wife still takes off on a dead run to sit on her purse any time I mention the car and her head and eyes have this funny twitching. The 401 K can turn into a 409 K.. Be all worth it when it is done. Can't wait to see it done. Bring tears to the eye when you start hearing the whutti puttin sounds... Butch

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
409fanatic, did you build a 62 race car?. Hope to see all of the members in Kansas, I can't wait. My wife this time has been unbelievable, makes me
wonder?..... I'd better ck the can's to see if there's not an I O U in them. lol Hey Jim, love those dual fours in your picture,
:cheers I have my set in my bedroom, just to look at them, gives me hope. Take care all, and thanks for the good advise and your encouragement.
:bow