1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Phil,,,, I got bad news, and bad news. They did not do a pressure check, he said, he double check for cracks, didn't find any, I had no water leaks, water in the oil, ? So much to know, I have the heads on the car already,? As Clint Eastwood would say,
well?, do you feel "lucky, Punk". not really. :dunno2:doh

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan,don't put any kind of threadlocker on the threads for the rocker arm adjusting nuts.It won't hurt to pre oil the engine before putting the dist. back in.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Phil, Installed new valve seats, not front seat, and made sure they were bolted down so I could shift.... lol without doing the tetertoter boggy:dance:flag. I'll never forget that .!

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, Another Question, I keep seeing on the valve lash for 63 - 425 hp, with solid lifter cam, is, 30 Exh. & 18 int. i have the 425 cam in my engine. Is this what I should set the lash at?.....its quite a bit different between that and the 62 409 version, of 12 int. & 18 exh. ?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Hi, Another Question, I keep seeing on the valve lash for 63 - 425 hp, with solid lifter cam, is, 30 Exh. & 18 int. i have the 425 cam in my engine. Is this what I should set the lash at?.....its quite a bit different between that and the 62 409 version, of 12 int. & 18 exh. ?

Because the looser lash sounds better?
Robert
Actually a good question as the 61 lash is different from the 62 as I remember?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Cash: I had to think about this, for a moment. The 425 H.P. Cam was ,012 Intake and .018 Exhaust. If you used a Z-11 cam, your Lash, would be .018 Intake and .030 Exhaust. :rolleyes I think.:scratch

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
This is interesting because in my AMA books for 61 and 62 reads .008 & .018 for the 409 motors even though the cams are different. Appears the 61 409 is the same as the 340 & 350 HP 348's and the 62 409/409 is different but with same valve lash.
I like to refer to the AMA or Division engineering papers rather than something that might have been "modified" via the internet. But, there are several TSB's that could have update specs. I wish I had the TSB items Cecil has! A friend bought an older Chevrolet dealership in the early 70's but during lengthy transition unfortunately the "clean up" crew threw away TSB's that were saved from the 50's and sales order information and dealer promotion items. Basically they restarted the dealership on a clean white sheet of paper!
Robert

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Right on skipxt4.... thats where im at. After tearing down top end of car I decided to clean up the intake, it had been powder coated, what a mess that was. Well it turned out really nice, I had to sandblast it, use chemical liquid etc, finally done, when one of my car guys says, did you remove the oil heat shield and clean all the sand out?....I had washed it with cleaner, blew it with air hose, but no I did not take it off, he said, you'd better do it or else, your motor is going to be toast. :yikes:shock2 I took it off today= here' what it look's like
for those that don't know how much sand likes to stick to old oil......:scared2 The rest of the pictures are for guys that might need to see and look at what a 409 oil heat shield looks like. I come so close to f' up again.....100_3633.jpg100_3632.jpg100_3631.jpg100_3630.jpg100_3629.jpg100_3628.jpg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, more questions, I see they have for sale, intake manifold exhaust block off plates. ? And what are these for.? Another question, if I may. Are the long head bolts on a 409 the same as the 327 long bolts?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Right on skipxt4.... thats where im at. After tearing down top end of car I decided to clean up the intake, it had been powder coated, what a mess that was. Well it turned out really nice, I had to sandblast it, use chemical liquid etc, finally done, when one of my car guys says, did you remove the oil heat shield and clean all the sand out?....I had washed it with cleaner, blew it with air hose, but no I did not take it off, he said, you'd better do it or else, your motor is going to be toast. :yikes:shock2 I took it off today= here' what it look's like
for those that don't know how much sand likes to stick to old oil......:scared2 The rest of the pictures are for guys that might need to see and look at what a 409 oil heat shield looks like. I come so close to f' up again.....View attachment 64017View attachment 64018View attachment 64019View attachment 64020View attachment 64021View attachment 64022
Yep, had mine powder coated, so I removed shield also before installing on motor and it had a lot of sand or grit in it also.