1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:pan:bonk:horse :tantrum:tantrum.......and the saga continues. ~`~!~!

We get all ready, put a little gas in the carbs, Barry gets in to start the car, and, then I see it....? The front carb is leaking out of the left side below the base. Shit..... We stop, take off the carb, as Barry has a extra set at his house, I go get it, and tomorrow, we will try again. :salute Have to get it running, there's a car show in Edmonds Wa on Sunday, gotta
get there. Have faith.... or a beer. either one works.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Fellow 409'ers..... thanks for your prayers.... they worked....

IT STARTED....:tongue2 yip.....:cloud had a few issue's but, it runs, sounds great, will take it out for a small test drive as soon as I let it cool down and ck all fluids. I've learned so much with this last mistake, and I always thank you guys for your input.:appl car show tomorrow.:driver:burnout cash

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Skip I like the dances... Took it to the Edmons car show, its only about 4 miles away, cool place, right down on the puget sound, one of those cool little towns, the ferry comes into. Had a huge turnout, 100-300 cars, and 1000 of people. Had a great day of sunshine, a little wind, but just perfect. The car run OK, a little hot, and it need to be idled down some but took care of that as soon as I got parked and one of the wrenches came over to do it. lol. Idle's now 800. Had some Bad luck and some really good luck. The trunk lid some how got unhinged or something, but couldn't shut it as it was far
out of wack, will fix it later this week. The Good new is.... The Bel Air Won 1st Place in the GM section at the show.
very proud of that, also my daughters new ride, a 69 camaro cone. took 2nd place in GM. win - win. :winner000_0260.jpg

Was going to buy a new car, but just wanted a 69 drop top instead. She is having a blast, her 1st trophy....

100_3656.jpg

My friends just finished 52 Tin Woody, did all the work him self.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The beast is back, I've had trouble with the trunk hinges before, and it again raised its
ugly head at the Car Show last weekend. I think the problem is the hinge support was
installed in the wrong position or at the wrong angle, so its twisting the hinge in time, and finally messing up the angle which it comes down at. Will have to take it to my friends to have the support moved.

Attachments

• 100_2956.jpg
    100_2956.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_3705.jpg
    100_3705.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3704.jpg
    100_3704.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 25

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, Well "Christene" and I are still waging war. Without my friend Barry, she would have won all the battles. He tackled the hinge situation, the problem was when the drivers side hinge brace was installed not by factory a 1/2" off of its correct position. Boy did it bend and twist those hinges. He also fixed the vacuum, & gas leaks I had on the 2x4's, we made are own gaskets and it fixed that problem. The only thing left is to find out why we can't get it to idle. We have it timed at 10 deg BTDC,(Maybe should be more). Have lashed the values after head work to 18 & 12. I've been reading a lot
of the threads on AFB's and idle problems, some say to ck the color of the step up springs and go with a weaker one, the yellow or blue.

This engine has always ran at 200-215, w/190 thermostat, makes me nervous, this is on the extra gauges I have, idiot lights do not ever come on, never boils over. Am running stock 5 blade clutch fan with, half-in (409) shroud, radiator, 4 core. I think I'll take it down to the Radiator Man and have him ck it out, then I'll know for sure.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi, Trying to get some of the little things taken care of before the rain really starts here in Seattle. It seems as my engine runs ok for a short time, then slowly runs out of gas, and won't stay running, hard to idle, the bowl empty's, then is hard to start, you have to pump it, or put your foot to the floor.? I took a test of the fuel pump, ( 4657) 3.5 psi, i'm running 2x4's, other fuel pump i have, says it pushes 5.5-6 psi., its carter M3210 model.

Other question I have is about fan blades and clutch fans, I have some pictures of some I have, if you can help with a originality or not, would be great.:clap

100_3719.jpg
The one on the left, came off a 409 org eng w/fan 63 I was told... the only #'s found on it were B 3, in-between rids.
The one on the right, ? not sure it does fit the 5 bladed fan, but is bigger than the one on the left?
Has anyone tired using the clutch fan and a 1-1/2 spacer to get the fan closer to the radiator?, mine at the moment is 3" away, and always run 200 210. Im trying to get the fan closer to the radiator but still have it 1/2 in & 1/2 out the shroud. Thanks for listening. cash

100_3722.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If the engine starts to die while at cruising speed, no heavy load, you may have an issue with your fuel cap not venting correctly. Or an issue with the fuel pick up. If the engine dies when under heavy acceleration, you may have a fuel pump or fuel pick up issue.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Phil, I read one of your comments about installing molly push rods on my 690 heads, that they might cause a problem with the alignment holes wearing because of the hardness. Idea's... thanks