1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
59K9 ... what are your spec's on your motor?. Mine is a 62 QB 2x4 , ross pistons, and stock crank 20/20 now,
Jacks roller cam lifter setup, revamp 690 heads. Hope its just a good running motor. Should be up and running in a couple weeks, he's just finishing assembly of the heads, will start on the block as soon as the crank bearings come in. Getting excited again.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cashguzzler, I'll dig up the specs and post them later, got a reworked torque converter today, it was finished last evening and shipped overnight so I could get it back in the car...full reworking of the converter was 245...overnight shipping was 33...JW sure does know what customer service it...it's out to the shop for me, got a buddy on his way over...

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Getting closer each day to having my engine finished. Geno who's putting it together ran the carbs on his engine stand motor, sounded great, no leaks. Just waiting for the push rods to come in, and then to paint it. Here's what it looks like so far. Maybe, I'm building a 204 1/2 cu. :burnout 100_3793.jpg

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just a few words on how fun it is to drive a "409":drive, in March of this year tore out the 409 and began a rebuild, its been a long time, and a learning experience. Today took it out for the the 2nd time, and its the 1st time I've had a speedometer since owning this car and having it on the road, (2016). The new engine just wants to kick ass, runs cool, 180, shifts great, Im as happy as a teenager with his 1st car. Going to a friends today for a home car gathering, should be about 15 cars or so... he's having a BBQ with ribs, you guys
are welcome to come... lots of beer, come on down. :rimshot

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Had a great time at the Home car rally, some 8-10 cars showed up, nice variety, camaro's, nova's, firebirds, 57 GMC Truck with big motor, Carmengia, t-bucket, nice all black harley, had plenty of drinks, food, and much to much, lying. lol. A great time. The car ran
great stayed at 180-185, until stopped at stop lights, then ran up to 200, but cooled down as soon as we got back driving. Am going
to go with Evan's product, any feedback from you guys on this product?. Stay thirsty my friends... cash...
ps.. my mother always said to have something to eat if your going to drink acolhol.

100_1780.jpeg

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
hey cash, sorry for not posting up what jack has done to my 409...the heads are the 340hp heads with 2.07 and 1.72 valves, roller rockers and lifters, 924/925 exhaust manifolds, isky cam #HR545 which has 275 duration, valve lift of .552 and a 55 degree overlap...fully balanced ross 10.25:1 forged pistons, scat I beam rods...it's currently has a M21 and a 3:73 Yukon posi...he builds a sweet motor and stands behind his work...

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Back at it again, took the 409 out for a 30 mile test drive, stayed at 180-185 on freeway, goes up to 185-190 when in stop and go traffic, will heat up to 200 when a light, but will go right back down as soon as you are back driving. I'd say the
coolant is a good deal. After getting home I checked the plugs again, damn if they weren't black and sooty again, I have a friend that gave me his last two 16-225 Carter metering rods, today I installed them in front #3361 carb, it didn't seem to start any better at first, had to pump the sh... out of it, but then after it was running for some time, 10 minutes or more, it dropped down to 800 rpm's, which it never ran that low before. Shut it off, waited a few minutes, it started right up, one turn of the key, bam.... I did ck the timing right on, it was raining today, like that's a surprise for Seattle, so i couldn't take it for a drive, but will soon. I do appreciate all the idea's and help thrown my way on this issue. With my new 409 setup
it is very strong, puts a smile on my face, each time out. :burnout:woohoo cash

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jack dyno'd the motor and it produces 428hp and 468ft.lb. of torque...the tranny shifts like butter and the car is a hoot to drive...4 speed and bench seats rule don't they...I need to call up a suspension guy and work on traction, the tires hop like mad when I do a burnout...

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im not sure why, but when we were doing my 62 we put the extra 4th link on and it seems to hold real well, also went with the 1" sway bar up front. Finally got my 15" wheels back on the car, 255x60, makes the ride a little smother with the extra meat on the road. Sure wish it would dry up one day soon so I could take it for a drive...:tantrum
Guess I'll start working under the dash again, some of my wiring isn't working, like the cutout switch, dash lights, courtesy underdash lights, and of course right turn signal.....? dah.... at least it isn't raining in my garage...:dance1