1962 BelAir

lennyjay

Well Known Member
Sounds like you have a plan. The 348's are coming on, they rev and have torque to get the big bodies going. If the rear is a Ford 9 you have lots of ratios to choose. I have a 409, 4-speed with 3:55's and I can drive it all day. It actually will pass a gas station without pulling in....

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It is a 9" Ford and I think it has a spool, I haven't time yet to dig into the rear to see what I actually have. Ultimately I would like to have some type of locker with a 3:70-4:11 ratio for the street, a spool is a little hard to deal with street driving. The 348's are a desirable engine to build now of days with the stroker kits available, I put a 4" stroker kit in it with a .030 bore and wala its a 434ci engine with a big horse 409 top end. There are some pictures of the rear axle in post #59.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sounds like you have a plan. The 348's are coming on, they rev and have torque to get the big bodies going. If the rear is a Ford 9 you have lots of ratios to choose. I have a 409, 4-speed with 3:55's and I can drive it all day. It actually will pass a gas station without pulling in....
348's are like Second Gen Camaro's. Few people want to spend the money on First Gen Camaro's so the second Gen Camaro prices have gone way up. If you don't care about the name 409 and you just want the look then its hard to beat a stroked 348. Especially with nearly 450ci and hp heads and a healthy cam.