1962 California Plates.. Yellow & Black or Black & Yellow?

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw a thread around here somewhere that discussed a manufacture date for the transition to the black and yellow 63 plates vs the yellow and black 56 plates. Was it the cars manufactured after July of 62 that got the newer 63 stamped plates? I really hope mine takes the yellow and black ones.

Since the DMV here in California started reproducing black and yellow plates, there are just too many around and they don't look so special anymore. Especially when you see them on a 2017 Dodge charger,

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had a 63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL that had black plates with yellow letters and digits, it was still licenced in CA in 1990 when I purchased the car, under the tags the year stamped in the plate is 63.
Not sure this helps but another piece in the puzzle.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Since the DMV here in California started reproducing black and yellow plates, there are just too many around and they don't look so special anymore. Especially when you see them on a 2017 Dodge charger,
I was in LA earlier in this week and I saw this car on the 405!!!!!!

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My production number is 126464.. is there any way to tell if this was a production number before july. Whats your production number quik9r

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"Production" number doesn't really predict the plates. Plates were assigned by DMV as needed. That is, one DMV could run out of early plates before another office did so two cars registered on the same day from different areas could have either plate assigned.
If your 62 has black plates then those are considered to be original to the car. This has nothing to do with the new Legacy plates as they are not original. If you get YOM yellow plates then you lose the originality factor.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with you Impalabricker. They have basically ruined the black plates. And don't even get my brother started about it. Keep in mind though, the font is different, and the new plates also come with some reflectivity in them. A real enthusiast can tell the difference, however you have to know and care. And it still sucks to see them on newer cars.

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My car came from Omaha Nebraska thus was assigned the standard white California plates when it arrived for inspection here. Just thought it would look nice with the yellow and black. Thanks for all the input.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Verify what they are and get some plates and use the Year of manufacture form at DMV and change them. Hopefully yours are yellow. Either way, the black and yellow are still better than the white on your car. Good luck, plenty of plates out there including NOS ones.