1962 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe 409 4-Speed on BaT

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Very nice original car IMO. I think the condition of the body is nice enough that a full on frame off restoration would be a shame and ruin the originality for sure. Replacing a few wrong parts like the brake master, and the mufflers, and others plus repairing some of the small rust spots is all that's needed. Its too bad the vin was double stamped on the engine pad as some will think the engine is not original. The Vin tag does look suspicious due to the unusual position of the spot welds and the other 2 raised marks. No sure what is going on there.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This might explain the time lapse from engine build to body assembly. I suspect there was some difficulty getting the four speed transmissions.
Can't post the copy since it is a .pdf file but it is Dealer Bulletin #U-2-128 dated Jan 5, 1962 to all Dealers and called for a hold on all 409 equipped car orders "due to circumstances beyond our control". I suspect it may have been related to the shift of W engine casting from Tonawanda to Central Foundry Division about that same time frame. Another possibility is a problem with 4 speed trans availability as stated in another paragraph concerning Corvair delivery problems due to lack of trans.