1962 Chevrolet Impala SS (Anniversary Gold)

Bob A Boey

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum.

I have a family member who has a 1962 Impala SS Anniversary Gold car. As far as I can research it is a true anniversary car.
It is a 2- Door Hardtop Sportcoupe
Automatic Transmission
1800 Series
Made in Baltimore, MD.
Paint code 927 (Anniversary Gold Metallic)
Trim Code 891 (Yellow/Gold Vinyl Bucket Seats)
327 Motor
One tone paint. (Gold Roof)
Manual Brakes
"Star" pattern headliner.
I don't know if it is true or not, but, I was told they only made approx. 324 of these.
As far as I can tell it is the original paint.
There is a small amount of "cancer" between the trunk & back window.
Also he scraped the passenger side fender well on the garage wall.
My question is- How much is the car worth in this condition?
Thanks for any help.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I'd love to document your family member's car if you could get a photo of the cowl trim tag and VIN and some photos of the car. There were actually 16,925 1962 anniversary gold cars built in the entire 62 model year. Prior to the end of 1961 (the actual 50th anniversary was in Nov 61), only Impala sport coupes (either regular Impala or SS Impala), could be ordered in 927 paint. But some time early in the new 1962 year it appears that public demand for the 927 paint meant that Chevrolet opened up the order book so any Impala could be ordered in 927 paint, but no Belairs or Biscaynes. I have documented 107 Impalas painted 927 in the 62 model year. I've documented 96 sport coupes, 8 convertibles, 2 sport sedans and 1 sedan. The only model I haven't yet found is a wagon, but I'm sure I'll find one one day. I also haven't found any built in Jan 62, but this might be because Chevrolet simply weren't going to produce any in the 62 calendar year. I've documented 9 built in Atlanta, 11 built in Baltimore, 8 built in Flint, 20 built in Janesville, 3 built in Lansing, 25 built in St Louis (including my own 927 SS Impala), 4 built in Tarrytown and 27 built in Van Nuys. I haven't found any 927's built in Cleveland, Framingham, Kansas City or Norwood, so if anyone else knows of any 927's hiding anywhere, drop me a note.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'd love to document your family member's car if you could get a photo of the cowl trim tag and VIN and some photos of the car. There were actually 16,925 1962 anniversary gold cars built in the entire 62 model year. Prior to the end of 1961 (the actual 50th anniversary was in Nov 61), only Impala sport coupes (either regular Impala or SS Impala), could be ordered in 927 paint. But some time early in the new 1962 year it appears that public demand for the 927 paint meant that Chevrolet opened up the order book so any Impala could be ordered in 927 paint, but no Belairs or Biscaynes. I have documented 107 Impalas painted 927 in the 62 model year. I've documented 96 sport coupes, 8 convertibles, 2 sport sedans and 1 sedan. The only model I haven't yet found is a wagon, but I'm sure I'll find one one day. I also haven't found any built in Jan 62, but this might be because Chevrolet simply weren't going to produce any in the 62 calendar year. I've documented 9 built in Atlanta, 11 built in Baltimore, 8 built in Flint, 20 built in Janesville, 3 built in Lansing, 25 built in St Louis (including my own 927 SS Impala), 4 built in Tarrytown and 27 built in Van Nuys. I haven't found any 927's built in Cleveland, Framingham, Kansas City or Norwood, so if anyone else knows of any 927's hiding anywhere, drop me a note.

Bulletin #U-2-128.jpg

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
In the 2nd paragraph of the above letter, it is mentioned something about having difficulties with the 409 and 409s motors. No more of those motors produced until further notice. I wonder what the difficulty was?? Maybe just the demand for them?? Overwhelmed?? Great letter Cecil, Carmine.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
“Local lore” around here as I recal was the castings of the two new aluminum intakes to the new 690 heads. I always thought the heads did affect production early in the model run. But later in the year they got it right and made 1,000’s of them. A friend of mine waited for his so long that he had to settle for a 400 hp 63. Too bad!
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Carmine I believe there was another bulletin that released the single carb motors but I don’t have it handy. I am certain Cecil does.
Robert

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Carmine I believe there was another bulletin that released the single carb motors but I don’t have it handy. I am certain Cecil does.
Robert
I have that letter stating that the 409 horse motor was not available until sometime in Nov. of 1961 but it doesnt say why. im at work now, cant post it now

Carl 1962

Well Known Member

Thank you Cecil, I had seen this document previously but cannot find where I saved it. It's interesting that the anniversary gold paint was discontinued at the end of Nov 61, yet a couple of orders were produced in Dec 61. I've recorded one Janesville 927 car built in the 2nd week Dec 61 and two St Louis 927 cars built 3rd week Dec 61. Still haven't found any built in Jan 62.

Bob A Boey

Here are some pics of the car. Sorry about some pictures, it is very dark in the building he stores it in. I did not have time to get motor pics. He said he does not want me to post vin pictures or give out that info. Sorry

Attachments

• '62 Impala SS pics 009.JPG
    '62 Impala SS pics 009.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 57
  • '62 Impala SS pics 010.JPG
    '62 Impala SS pics 010.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 54
  • '62 Impala SS pics 011.JPG
    '62 Impala SS pics 011.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 57
  • '62 Impala SS pics 012.JPG
    '62 Impala SS pics 012.JPG