1962 Chevy Impala 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's a lot of twos :)

Can you give us the entire array of numeric representing the casting numbers? I suspect the last three number might be "068"?

Your initial post suggests that you now own this car, do I understand that correctly? Or are you looking to price it for a potential purchase?

Just trying to better understanding.

TomK

1962_Impala

That's a lot of twos :)

Can you give us the entire array of numeric representing the casting numbers? I suspect the last three number might be "068"?

Your initial post suggests that you now own this car, do I understand that correctly? Or are you looking to price it for a potential purchase?

Just trying to better understanding.

TomK
Oh and also, I have not bought it yet. I plan to soon

1962_Impala

Have you bought this car or just looking at it? You mentioned it was a "tribute" car???
Just looking at it, and yes. Getting serious though. Not a actual SS but it has everything a SS has I think. They made quite a few. They seem to hold their value also

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is not the casting number, that's the front pad stamping. The casting number from the rear of the block is absolute, that stamping isn't

Junky

Well Known Member
I think that I will sit this one out, and watch it from the sideline. If he doesn't know the difference between a stamped number, and a casted number, I believe that this is going to take a lot of education, before we will get the whole story. My guess is that he is hesitant to disclose much for fear of someone bursting his bubble.

1962_Impala

I think that I will sit this one out, and watch it from the sideline. If he doesn't know the difference between a stamped number, and a casted number, I believe that this is going to take a lot of education, before we will get the whole story. My guess is that he is hesitant to disclose much for fear of someone bursting his bubble.
I suppose I thought the stamped number was the casting number. If I knew what I was talking about on the car I probably wouldn’t be asking these questions. I apparently don’t know how to find the casting number or block number. So all I have is a VIN and all that it says is 1962 Chevy Impala when I run it. I’ll probably just delete this forum in a little bit and just let this car go, although I think it is a good buy. Thanks

1962_Impala

That is not the casting number, that's the front pad stamping. The casting number from the rear of the block is absolute, that stamping isn't
May I ask exactly where on the block? I’ll go back down tonight and try to get it.. I know it’s on the rear of the motor now so I should be able to find it

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you look behind the driver side head, there is a flange that sticks out that the transmission is bolted to, it has a block casting number cast there. Take a picture of it when you find it.

Google “Chevy V8 casting numbers” and you’ll find pictures of where to look for this number.

I’d also recommend you find someone to look at this car with you that is familiar with this year of car. What old cars have you owned before?

The value of a good correctly built 409 is about $10,000, with all the right parts and put together by a good builder. Some are worth more and if it’s a 348, take $5,000 off. And that’s just rough ballpark numbers.

1962_Impala

If you look behind the driver side head, there is a flange that sticks out that the transmission is bolted to, it has a block casting number cast there. Take a picture of it when you find it.

Google “Chevy V8 casting numbers” and you’ll find pictures of where to look for this number.

I’d also recommend you find someone to look at this car with you that is familiar with this year of car. What old cars have you owned before?

The value of a good correctly built 409 is about $10,000, with all the right parts and put together by a good builder. Some are worth more and if it’s a 348, take $5,000 off. And that’s just rough ballpark numbers.
Okay thank you. If I can prove it is a 409 I’m going to buy it with no concerns. It’s reasonable enough to not be concerned. But if it has the 348 then I’ll probably pass on it. Thanks for the info.