1962 Chevy Impala 409

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like this thread alot. Learning quite a bit. Sounds like something I would post myself. I also have a '62 SS 409 which gives new meaning to the word clone. The previous owner did a terrific job making it a SS tribute car. I put what was told to me, a '63 409/340 in it. I bought it as a short block and took it to the machine shop. Had it rebuilt. Bored .030 over so had to order new pistons to fit. Because of the new bore, I'm assuming it had to be a 409 block to begin with. I wish I had gotten the casting numbers off of the block while it was out, but I didn't. It's not too late. I just have to get it on the lift. Going to take a look at the block stamped number soon. Never realized it at the time of purchase, but this motor came with a solid cam and lifters. Has me wondering if the motor is a factory 400 or 425 hp that I think would come with a solid cam and lifters. Or, did someone put it in?? This should be interesting. Should also add, that the previous owner also changed the color from Anniversary Gold to Honduras maroon. I like the gold and would change it back except I did a real nice job painting the firewall when the motor was out and I'm not doing that again. This car has all original body panels, fenders, doors, pans and is in great shape. Began it's life in Montgomery, Alabama, where it stayed until I bought it. A guy keeps wanting to buy it, but thus far, I haven't caved in. I know what the car is and have never made any bones about it. I know what the value of it is to me and would never let it go for less. I'd let my the kids fight over it first. Sorry 1962 Impala. I didn't mean to hijack your thread some. It's just that I have something similar and thought I could add to it. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do, Carmine.

1962_Impala

What kind if shape is the body, rust, prior repairs???
What is the asking price? Not enough information for us to help you.
Body has one or 2 rust spots just barely bubbling very small. Has a little bondo if you look close in the rear quarters. Motor has been gone through 6k ago, he put hydrolic lifters on it. That’s all I really know. He’s owned it since 1972.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hydraulic lifters? Not a bad plan for a "Driver",more than likely,cast pistons are in there as well.I hope that it all works out well for you.:pray

427John

Well Known Member
Carmine,thats a good philosophy on a tribute car while you can't count on the value being there from an investment point of view if you can find a buyer who wants your particular car bad enough you may be able to get the price you want.A real McCoy car has the advantage of well established market values to drive the selling price.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine,thats a good philosophy on a tribute car while you can't count on the value being there from an investment point of view if you can find a buyer who wants your particular car bad enough you may be able to get the price you want.A real McCoy car has the advantage of well established market values to drive the selling price.
I would like to have had a real, factory '62 SS 409 car, but it didn't work out for me. Initially, I couldn't find what I wanted and when I did, I refused to pay those prices. Not saying they aren't worth it; just not to me. My focus then was buying a real solid, rust, bondo free '62 Impala. The more original, metal wise, the better. This became very important to me because I'm not a good body or paint guy. I knew I was going to put a 409 engine in it which was secondary to the condition. I think I got real lucky with my car because it was also a SS tribute car. The body and paint was everything I hoped it would be. The previous owner did an absolute terrific job in cloning it to not only an SS model, but transmission and rear also. I look at this car and could never tell it apart from a real SS model. I'm sure some here could, but that doesn't matter to me. I know exactly what the car is. I feel the power of the 409, I'm always looking at the original bucket beats, console, shifter and factory tach on the steering column. I sit in that car for periods of time, doing nothing but enjoying the peace it offers. I look at the trim and emblems on the exterior. Never once has it ever entered my mind or have I regretted, this car not being an original SS 409. I don't think of it like that. I get caught up in the beauty and excitement of what I'm driving, what I'm seeing. I know to some it's important to have a factory original car and I respect that. I'm perfectly happy with what I have. I would never promote it as something it's not or deceive anyone. Actually, I'm very proud of the way it looks and the way it was tastefully done.
I realize it would never generate the sale value that a real SS 409 would. But I know and understand that. I didn't buy and put this together for that purpose. I'm just going to try and enjoy it as long as I can, Carmine.

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
1962_impala, the casting number can be a bitch to get, you literally have to lay yourself out or crawl up into the engine compartment and try to look down to the back of the motor with your head up against the firewall and on the drivers side just to the right of the distributor where the bell housing bolts on there is a pad with numbers cast into it. Those are the block casting numbers and they will tell you if you have a 348 or 409. Let us know what you find.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
Following this thread. 1962 Impala - I’m very very very far from an expert on these cars, but you really really really need to bone up on what you want to buy. Sometimes it just takes a lot of money to get an education. I hope for your sake that you’re dealing with someone that’s scrupulous. Otherwise your going to graduate with a PHD on this one. I truly hope the best for you.

Fuzz

MAGA