1962 clutch parts

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Trying to sort things out. Need two sets of components for 1962 Chevrolet clutch set ups.

1962 Clutch parts2.jpg
The parts in the middle (in the plastic bags) were sourced as repops from Show Cars.

The ones on the left (with the silver Z bar) are complete and came off a 1962 Impala.

The stuff on the RH side of the table with the three Z bars are parts I had laying around, not sure what they were from, either 1961 or 1962.

I plan on using the parts on the LH side to replace the setup I currently have in the 62SS car that we did some 10 years ago. It's kinda wonky and I think the pedals were from 1961 and James fabbed up the rest. It was made from stuff we had on hand at the time...

The components in the middle is destined for the 1962 Biscayne project I am finishing up. Looks like I'll have some stuff left over :).

Cheers! TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Parts on right
  • 2 -1961 Chevy upper rods (they do not have threads)
  • 1 -62-63 upper rod (62 rods are different from 62 upper rods
  • far upper right on table -63 and 64 Chevy clutch and brake pedals (will not fit a 61 or 62)
  • far right side - 409 clutch fork for 62-63s -no slot in the end of the clutch fork -has only one bend in the arm...
  • clutch fork to left of the 409 fork -from later model Chevy 64 or newer will not work with pin type lower rod used on 62-63 327 and 409 chevys
Parts on the left
  1. all the parts on the left are 62 as you said -they look like 62 Chevy283, 327 and 409 with the exception that the Z bar is 327 Z bar not a 409 Z bar -both arms equal length -probably 3 & 3/8 inch arms from the round shaft
  2. 62 clutch and brake pedals(one year only ),
  3. frame bracket for Z bar -to weld to frame on cars without a factory stick shift (3 speed or 4 speed)
  4. 62 ?? - upper adjustable rod -check it against the other upper rods for shape... 62 fits 62 the best.....
  5. Z bar with equal length arms (3 & 3/8 inches for both arms -was used on 283, 327 and 6 cylinder
  6. The short lower push rod with the pin needs a special pin with a hole in it to mount to it on the top of the 409 clutch fork -like this https://show-cars.com/product/568
The 3 painted black Z bars at the bottom edge of the table appear to be all different -look at the grease jerk location -may the ends of the round shafts are reversed??
  • The left one looks like it could be a 409 with one short arm (the short arm goes to the bottom to the lower rod -409 Z bars had one arm that is 2 &7/8 inches from the shaft -the upper arm on 409 Z bars are 3 & 3/8 inches from the round shaft
  • The middle Z bar looks to be another 283, 327 Z bar with equal length arms (compare it the silver Z bar from a 62 on the far left
  • The far right black Z bar -does not look like 62 or 63 but I am not sure -arms are not equal length but also the clocked arm locations do not appear to match the far left Z bar.
The Show Cars parts
  • The clutch fork with the new parts is different than the 409 one in that it has a slot allowing the use of two different type of lower arms. The pin location on that clutch fork is about 1 inch farther away from the Z bar lower arm than the 409 one reducing the adjustment that can be made to get the right free play on the clutch disc. I like using that style clutch fork since it allows a lower threaded adjustable rod to be used instead of the lower rod with a pin (that is not adjustable) . One of my 409s has a threaded lower rod and the non 409 clutch fork with the slot in it.
  • keep in mind that you need the kit to mount the Z bar with a L bracket on the outside frame mount and plastic washers inside the Z bar LIKE THIS https://show-cars.com/product/564 - you may already have all of these for two cars. The small L bracket on the frame bracket is missing sometimes to hold the Z bar to the frame bracket...
  • Again the twist and shape of 1962 only upper rods are the best to use for 62s -the 63 style upper rod has a different twist to them -I am not sure what the reproduction upper rod shape is for fit on a 62. I have both 1962 and 1963 upper threaded adjustable rods they have a different shape when you lay them next to each other...
  • The upper rods goes through the rubber firewall seal -check how the ones you have line up on the clutch pedals, the Z bar and the seal
Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tom I think you have the summary information now get sorted out and back to work in your hidden man cave! I recall you have a heated floor so no excuse there.
Robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Paul, thanks soooo much for the ID details on the table top parts :} :} :}.

As Robert states, time for me to sift through and select the correct parts for each install. And now I have a better idea of what might be "left over".

Cheers! TomK

heddrik

Well Known Member
I have 2 62 Z bars from 6 cylinder/small block cars. Looking at the dimensions in Show Cars catalog, the difference is 1/2 in on the 1 arm, so I am going to machine the holes and arm 1/2 an inch and it should work. Nice pile of parts Tom. And Paul, as usual, incredible information. How do you remember this stuff so well????

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tom, when you sort out all the parts you need would you be willing to sell anything you have leftover. I will need all clutch pedal components for my 62 BelAir, the car was originally a stick but it had a 400TH put in it by the previous owner and all the clutch pedal hardware was removed including the pedal. The correct manual shift brake pedal is in the car, the clutch Z bar bracket was also cut off the frame.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Part of the reason I have all the parts down is that I am selling off all my complete 61, 62 and 63-64 Clutch conversions. I have only a few sets left 62 and 63-64 sets

I have a complete 62 clutch conversion (62 is one year only ) to sell now. There are lots of parts to make the conversion
all my parts are restored and zinc plated parts. I did just sell my last 552 cast bell housing and both lower covers for the 552 bell housing to a guy in Nebraska -but I can get another one

See the attached pictures of what I normally sell to make sure nothing is missing. sometimes guys have a few of the required parts
Paul

IMG_0001-002.JPGIMG_0004-002.JPGIMG_0007-002.JPGIMG_0012-002.JPGIMG_0015-002.JPGIMG_0009-002.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11

Yes it is a 62 clutch pedal(the arm will fit the under dash brace) you must have a matching brake pedal for it. That arm stop fits only a 62 under dash brace.
A 1961 under dash brace is different as are the pedals, springs and arms on a 61 underdash brace.
Only 62 brake pedal with the clutch pedal will work with the 62 clutch pedal.
  • 1961 pedals are different as are the 63 brake pedals (63's have a sleeve on the pedal arms)
  • A 63 brake pedal and clutch pedal has different sleeves on it for only the 63/64 under dash brace.
Paul

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks Paul, Show Cars catalog pictures don't look like it. And they show 62-63 the same and 61 one year only. :dunno2

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The clutch arm on 63-64 is straight and not curved like the 62. Toms picture upper right is a 63-64 set -that set will not fit a 61 and 62 dash...
62 pedals can be used in a 61 if you change the entire under dash brace with the pedals.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Just when I thought I had things sorted out, James stopped by and rearranged my inventory slightly. I was pretty correct on most parts, but the fork threw me a bit. Since James is putting one together for Joey's 62 Biscayne, he knows best :).

Me, I printed out Paul's initial post and then went and marked up pieces of tape to affix to all the parts. All according to the gospel from Paul :).

I'm pretty close to having enough for two, which is the plan. I did find out I have two Z bars for the 409 and two others that fit up to the 283/327/6 cylinder setups. And several of those longer adjustable rods.

Thanks to all you guys who are keeping me in line!

Best, TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
On the longer upper adjustable rods -make sure you use the one that fits the 62 with the pedals in place.
Them compare the twists and bends then you know if you have 62 upper rods or the 63-64 which have a slightly different twist and bends
I marked the 4-5 that I have then I know what year they are for.
TOM --I am wondering what the repro upper one matches??? 62 upper rod or 63-64??
Lay them all out together you will see the difference as long as they are laid out on the same fixed side....

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I like the threaded rod adjustment on the 63 upper rod, much easier to adjust the clutch using it than the earlier linkages which had the threads on the lower rod. I added the threads to my 62 upper rod.

If you use all of the z bar and lower linkage as a set, you can use small block zbar and linkage (maybe even 6 cylinder) on the 409. I had an original 283 linkage and zbar in my 59 and it all fit together fine when I had the 409 in the 59. The clutch pedal and upper rod have to be correct as Paul says.

Not a correct way to do this but it works fine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
All 62 ( & 63 & 64) factory linkage had a upper threaded rod.
59,60/61 factory linkage did not have a upper threaded rod.
Don - You are very correct on the use of the lower linkage & z bar & the threaded rod on 59-61 lower linkage.

I have actually purchased off a 1962 - 6 cylinder a 409 style clutch fork years ago. I saw it on the original car and engine before it was removed.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul for the correction. Could I have had an earlier clutch pedal rod than a 62 on my 62? I remember retreading one. I got my 62 clutch pedal from you or Phil.