1962 Impala Project

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dan...I thought you knew all along who Brian was!!! Got the black 62 and built the white 61 with the high dollar 409 in it. BSL409 has the highest number of hits on his posts. He's the one who started the Cars and chicks threads!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

62Impala

After debating for a while on whether to build another car and keep the 283 in the Impala for now or upgrading to a 409,the 409 won with a bit of a nudge from my Uncle Brian. The motor swap probably works out much better since I have a 3 year old, and don't have enough time to devote to restoring another car for a few more years.

Here is what the 409 build will consist of:

-422 Truck Block which has hot tanked/honed- standard bores
-Block has new cam bearings and soft plugs
-Block did have a crack which was repaired using Lockn' Stitch kit (see this thread for the repair: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/409-crack-repair.25158/ )
-Stock crank that has been super finished
-Stock connecting rods
-11:1 forged pistons
-Melling M55 oil pump
-Comp. Hydraulic Cam #48-000-5
516/520 lift
224/230 duration @ 50
- High performance Hydraulic lifters
-5/16 Chrome moly push rods
-Stock rocker arms
-817 Heads
-New Stainless valves (2.07 and 1.725)
-Forged valve keepers and retainers
-1.430 Valve springs
-Stock single point distributer
-Stock water pump
-Stock 2.5" exhaust manifolds with stock 409 exhaust system
-Stock fuel pump
-Edelbrock dual quad small port intake (5408)

I'm thinking of using the Edelbrock 1403 and 1404 performer carbs for the engine, or is it worth the extra money to go with the Thunder series? Are there any pros or cons to either of these for the guys that have used them?

Also, what linkage is best to use on the Edelbrock carbs- the stock linkage or the progressive linkage they have for the dual quads?

- Nick

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan...I thought you knew all along who Brian was!!! Got the black 62 and built the white 61 with the high dollar 409 in it. BSL409 has the highest number of hits on his posts. He's the one who started the Cars and chicks threads!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
Never heard of em...:taunt

62Impala

Here are a few pictures of the assembly completed for far:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 82
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 81

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well done, that's gonna make a great streeter. Nick, Edelbrock offers 500 cfm carbs that are jetted for 2x4 applications. If there is no difference in price, you might think of going that route. If not, you can re-jet the 1403/4 .

62Impala

Ronnie,

Do you know what size jets are in the ones jetted for the 2 X 4 applications? The 1403 and 1404 has .86 primary and .95 secondary.
Show cars has two 500 CFM Edelbrock carbs for $579.90 (part 3913E) but doesn't specify jet size.

Thanks,

Nick

Well done, that's gonna make a great streeter. Nick, Edelbrock offers 500 cfm carbs that are jetted for 2x4 applications. If there is no difference in price, you might think of going that route. If not, you can re-jet the 1403/4 .

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Nick,check out Edelbrocks web site.They have both the "Performer,and the Thunder[AVS] carbs calabrated for 2-4s.You can find jet sizes,metering rod sizes,and power piston springs used in these carbs listed when you look up the carb number.

62Impala

I checked the website and found the information on the Thunder series for the dual quad set up, but nothing on the Performer seriers I am planning on using. I'm going to try to give Edelbrock a call and see what they say about the Performer series for the dual quad set up. The website says they have them calibrated for the dual quad application in the Performer series but no part numbers listed...

Nick

Nick,check out Edelbrocks web site.They have both the "Performer,and the Thunder[AVS] carbs calabrated for 2-4s.You can find jet sizes,metering rod sizes,and power piston springs used in these carbs listed when you look up the carb number.