1962 Impala Project

62Impala

Thanks....I'm lucky enough to have an Uncle who has been able to help me out with the with everything from the car to the engine. When I was in college I used to work with him on the weekends on his cars, so he got me started in the hobby. He's been able to help keep me into it.....just wish there were more people my age into it ( I'm not quite 30 yet). Too many people my age just don't have the desire or any ambition to put the work or money into these cars...

-Nick

Awesome job. You should be proud:happy

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I checked the website and found the information on the Thunder series for the dual quad set up, but nothing on the Performer seriers I am planning on using. I'm going to try to give Edelbrock a call and see what they say about the Performer series for the dual quad set up. The website says they have them calibrated for the dual quad application in the Performer series but no part numbers listed...

Nick
I have 2 -1405 Edelbrock carbs on my 62 SS 409 stroker motor. These carbs are 600 CFM -more for my stroker motor. The 500 CFM Edelbrocks are a better fit for your 409. I would say that I ran my original 500 CFM Carter AFB's on my stroker motor and they ran just fine, I may switch back to them since I have 2-3 sets of them.
I switched the metering rods last year on my Edelbrock carbs. I had a friend do it for me. After we did the change and moved the vaccum line to the center of the front carb I smoked the tires on front of his house for 80 ft. I can look into the rods we used because my friend knew which ones to change to, he had done it a number of times on his 409.
Paul

62Impala

Just a quick update on this: we decided that before the engine is shipped to me, Brian is going to break it in and tune in on the dyno. Hopefully they will do a couple pulls on it to see what kind of power this combination of parts makes (we are getting a decent deal to run it so we're hoping they will do a pull or two on it in addition). This will probably be done in the next week or so as Brian's saying my engine is taking too much room up in his garage and he needs to get the '61 ready for racing.

-Nick

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Sweet,Let us know what the combo is,and the power and torque numbers are.............PLEASE!:pray

62Impala

The engine has been dropped off at the machine shop for the dyno session. They are supposed to run it either Friday or Saturday. Either Brain or myself will post the numbers this weekend.

-Nick

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 20

62Impala

The engine was broke in on the dyno this morning. On the best run it had 378 horsepower at 5600 RPM and 392 foot pounds of torque at 3600 RPM. I'm pretty happy with the numbers for the parts selection. Remember that this was using the stock 2.5" cast manifolds, if headers were used I'm sure it would have broke 400 horsepower. Hopefully we can get a pull sheet scanned in and posted. Here is the list of parts used:

-422 Truck Block which has hot tanked/honed- standard bores
-Block has new cam bearings and soft plugs
-Block did have a crack which was repaired using Lockn' Stitch kit (see this thread for the repair: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/409-crack-repair.25158/ )
-Stock crank that has been super finished
-Stock connecting rods
-11:1 forged pistons
-Melling M55 oil pump
-Comp. Hydraulic Cam #48-000-5
516/520 lift
224/230 duration @ 50
- High performance Hydraulic lifters
-5/16 Chrome moly push rods
-Stock rocker arms
-817 Heads
-New Stainless valves (2.07 and 1.725)
-Forged valve keepers and retainers
-1.430 Valve springs
-Stock single point distributer
-Stock water pump
-Stock 2.5" exhaust manifolds with stock 409 exhaust system
-Stock fuel pump
-Edelbrock dual quad small port intake (5408)
-Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM carbs

-Nick

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Very respectable numbers from that small cam,and restrictive exhaust system,Nick.This thing will be fun to drive,get halfway decent mileage,and very reliable.I think you'll love it.Congrats! That cam is basicly a 268 Extreme Energy cam.:love

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Shouldn't the torque numbers be a bit higher than that? :scratch The 340 horse motors were rated at 420 foot pounds at 3200 rpm.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The engine was broke in on the dyno this morning. On the best run it had 378 horsepower at 5600 RPM and 392 foot pounds of torque at 3600 RPM. I'm pretty happy with the numbers for the parts selection. Remember that this was using the stock 2.5" cast manifolds, if headers were used I'm sure it would have broke 400 horsepower. Hopefully we can get a pull sheet scanned in and posted. Here is the list of parts used:

-422 Truck Block which has hot tanked/honed- standard bores
-Block has new cam bearings and soft plugs
-Block did have a crack which was repaired using Lockn' Stitch kit (see this thread for the repair: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/409-crack-repair.25158/ )
-Stock crank that has been super finished
-Stock connecting rods
-11:1 forged pistons
-Melling M55 oil pump
-Comp. Hydraulic Cam #48-000-5
516/520 lift
224/230 duration @ 50
- High performance Hydraulic lifters
-5/16 Chrome moly push rods
-Stock rocker arms
-817 Heads
-New Stainless valves (2.07 and 1.725)
-Forged valve keepers and retainers
-1.430 Valve springs
-Stock single point distributer
-Stock water pump
-Stock 2.5" exhaust manifolds with stock 409 exhaust system
-Stock fuel pump
-Edelbrock dual quad small port intake (5408)
-Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM carbs

-Nick