1962 Impala Project

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Part of the reason could be that,back in the day,engines that were dyno'd,were done so pulling no acceries,and were fitted with headers,and no exaust pipes.This one was more like "real world".

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Nick,
things are looking really kewl:cool: and you would be one proud nephew to have an uncle like Brian.

Gav

62Impala

Here are the dyno sheets.....as Brian said they started at 3500 RPM....so engine may have been making a bit more torque at a lower RPM? I was expecting in the 400's based on the 340 horse being rated at 420 at 3200 RPM.

Nick

409 dyno.JPG 409 dyno 2.JPG

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like very good power from small ports, smallish-cam, manifolds, stock rockers, etc. Aside from the dual quads, it actually sounds like it would be a similar combo to the 1961 360HP 409's. The TQ peak shown is at the first point of the sheets, so it probably made more down low. I also noticed that the HP was still climbing @ 5600 where the test ends so it may have made a little more up higher. I think it was wise to not turn it up higher just to see, given the stock rockers, etc. I doubt you'd see any more power from a 454 with small port heads, small cam, and stock exhaust manifolds.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It very likely does make more torque down around 3200,and the torque curve will be as flat as the Kansas plains,making it super fun on the street with a 3.08-3.36 gear.That cam was originally designed for a 350 small block,and on a 10-1 engine torque peaked around 37-3800.Now add 60 cubic inches,and you'll lower the torque peak about 5-600 rpm. I doubt that there would be much more power at 6000 due to the small cam,maybe another 20 hp,and about the same gain in torque if he went to small tube headers.This thing really dosent need them,as is,from a 20mph roll,and a 3.36 gear,it's going to blow the tires off of the car.

62Impala

283.jpg 4091.jpg 4092.jpg 4093.jpg 4094.jpg The old 283 is out and the new 409 is in. Almost ready to start it up. Just waiting on the side generator bracket to come in the mail so I can get that hooked up and put the core support and radiator on. Hopefully it will be running next weekend.
Does anyone know the max height that the air cleaner can be to clear the hood on the 62's? The one's I have on it are 3" tall and it looks like the front one will be close. This has the Edelbrock intake and carbs so I'm not sure if these are taller than the orignal intake and Carters.

-Nick