1962 Impala Question- "SS Side Body Molding"

The Previous owner of my '62 began adding the "SS" extras but didn't finish.
I'm going to finish the job. Has anyone had any experience changing Impala side body moldings to "SS" moldings.
The middle part of my side body molding is painted white. See pic
image.jpg
However, I see that the swirl pattern "SS" inserts can be purchased, but can't figure out the differences from one web site to another.

http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5012

http://www.classicindustries.com/1962/impala/parts/b9214ss.html

Does the "SS" insert mount on top of what I already have or does the painted part that I currently have come out? How do I go about this change?
Do I need to replace the entire molding or just add the SS insert?
If so, What do I need to buy?

image.jpg
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mark

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The white paint needs to be removed with paint remover. Buy only the swirl cut metal SS inserts -just like the SS originals, they are american made in Des Monies Iowa - he sells to lots of dealers, like Show Cars.
You will have to remove all 6 chrome pieces to install the metal inserts. Remove door panels, remove the back seat, rear arm rests and RR 1`/4 panel pieces(I can provide details on the removal of the interior and how to remove your chrome from the back side on all 6 pieces).
Remember that you have to have a SS grab bar on the passenger side and the correct SS panel behind the grab bar(without an impala emblem). The dash is drilled for the left mount
on the grab bar. The grab bar side mount a template is best( I have one.) Also all 1962 SS cars had buckets seats(that fold at an angle) and a center console, if you want all the items.

3M makes a double sided tape for the metal SS inserts-it comes 1" wide. The RR 1/4s need two 1" wide pieces of tape. I have the 3M number somewhere. The tape is much better than trying to glue the inserts to the chrome.
The glue is too messy - I know having done it.
Also the trunk panel and coves have metal swirl cut panels for 1962 SS only -also made in Des Monies - the quality is very, very nice. They are expensive. Non SS Impalas have gray painted trunk and cover panels.

Do not buy the reproduction SS side chrome. The quality is not good. The sets are driver quality. Also original chrome for 62's is the best to use -even if its restored and reanodized.
The chrome on your car appears have very nice shine, I suggest the metal inserts on your chrome.

Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Paul I see where Mark already has the rear swirl trunk moldings installed. That trunk swirl was a "mid year" inclusion on 62 SS cars and I have the effective notice when Chevrolet added that. I don't think it is much of an issue on 409 cars since there were production holds early in that year 409 model run.
Robert

I'm sorry if I misled you Robert. Actually the 1st picture is my car...the second is an internet screen shot. I don't have the deck panel in the swirl pattern yet. Mine is painted white...still looks great... But I plan to add the SS deck panel and cove moldings. It sounds like adding the SS side body molding is a lot bigger job than anticipated... Someone else told me adding the passenger grab bar was difficult too. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts about doing myself. Thinking I might pay someone to do all that.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Mark,
The passenger grab bar is not difficult to add(unless you have factory air). I think the side chrome needs to be laying flat to make sure the metal trim gets installed on the chrome correctly. It takes two persons on the 1/4 panel SS insert to install it once its is stuck to the chrome on one end to line it up correctly.

There is one company in Iowa -Dallas County parts that sells the SS trunk panels for the best price - I can send you a link to them. I have bought about 5 trunk panels from him over the years.

Robert the 62 Impalas I have seen over the last 20 years the dates of those cars where September and October 1961 without the SS swirl panel /coves on the trunk.
I have seen November/December dated 1061 build dates ,-- for 1962's and they all had swirl panel trunks. What dates do you have ?

Paul

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Paul,
that double sided 3M tape number you told me about is in the ULINE catalog. Page # 574.
#3M F9460PC, 2mil, 100lb tensile strength,
1/2 inch wide is ULINE # S-18662,
1 inch wide is ULINE # S-14906.
Their is a 5 mil & 10 mill thickness also, but I believe you told me to use the 2 mil.

Dave

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks Dave, I have forgotten where my notes on the tape where. They came recommended by another Dave -Dave Kosmann, in Idaho who restores aluminum trim.
I need some of it for my chrome.
I am in Michigan again with the grandkids. They were at our place in Iowa since July 1st,
just go here last night.
Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Mark,
Robert the 62 Impalas I have seen over the last 20 years the dates of those cars where September and October 1961 without the SS swirl panel /coves on the trunk.
I have seen November/December dated 1061 build dates ,-- for 1962's and they all had swirl panel trunks. What dates do you have ?

Paul
Paul I think that October date is real close!
If you have a good helper on that project you should try it as those swirl moldings and inserts appear to be decent quality. Besides think how good you can get the body with the moldings off.
Robert

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My apologies for bringing up an old article but this thread is great and I am currently in the process of converting to SS on my 62. I have the bucket seats installed, console installed, purchased rear swirled cove and end pieces, I purchased grab bar, rear trunk and quarter SS emblems. I am now looking on ebay at the machined metal inserts, and I need the SS dash plate. I see the repops but I have to drill my own center mouting hole. Would it be possible for me to get the templates for the dash plate and area where the bar mounts to the inside of the car? Thanks in advance.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Some comments on the items you mentioned.
  • I would only buy 62 metal SS side chrome inserts from Dallas County Parts. He has the best prices normally. Also good for after the sale help.
  • I would not glue the metal inserts, too messy, after the one time I did it. -see what I did to glue the SS Metal inserts in the last post on this link: http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1962-impala-ss-side-trim-tape.31882/page-2#post-305611
  • Do not use the 3M Uline tape mentioned above. Its too thin as Leo stated.
  • Use this 3M Double sided tape.......: https://www.uline.com/BL_6041/3M-4920-VHB-Acrylic-Foam-Tape
  • We just installed metal SS inserts in NOS Impala Chrome (AFTER removing the impala insert paint). We used the 4920 VHB Acrylic Foam Tape. One suggestion is to heat the 3M double sided tape -I think after installation or during(I will find out ) We had professional help to install our metal SS inserts with the double sided tape. Our help was a stainless and aluminum trim restorer and I bet he would say use only the 3M 4920 VHB tape.
  • One problem is the cost for enough 3M 4920 Tape for all 6 pieces of chrome ($255 for 72 yds -(216 ft)) . I recall we needed 30 ft measure your chrome-- You need 1" wide for the 1/4's for sure. Staples also sells the tape but I think you still end up paying over $ 250. They sell it in smaller lengths. Make sure you get the right tape, they list many others -that are not the same....

1. You do not need a template for the dash SS chrome piece -the dash is already drilled for SS grab bars and the SS dash chrome -just mark the back side of the "new" SS Dash chrome (the dash chrome that is sold is for Impala and Impala SS -it comes without holes for either model.
  2. I see some places that sell the Dash chrome by itself (were you do not have buy all three pieces ) The chrome(all three pieces) we bought says made in Taiwan.
  3. I note one problem with the "new" dash chrome that is sold for the passenger side -Nuts are not provided for the studs on the chrome -the one we have has what appears to be fine thread studs -but fine thread nuts do not work... - currently Dallas County Parts is finding out what is supposed to be used for the new passenger side dash chrome "mounting studs" .
  4. I made a template for the grab bar on the side of the dash -- it was not easy to make one but I have a good one.
  5. I also made a template for the SS trunk emblem.
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Paul, I received the templates in the mail and will proceed with the installation when time permits. The dash chrome I bought does not have any studs on it but the grab bar I bought has some brackets that go on it somehow.

Heres the dash panel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331347548991?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and here's the grab bar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131927181391?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Not sure how those brackets fit but Im sure I will find out once everything comes off. I also visited "Classic Industries" yesterday "I live 20 miles away" and purchased some side rocker moldings since I dont have any and the rockers were replaced so there are no holes in either the rockers or front fenders to accomodate them. Would you be able to tell me the hole spacing for the rocker panels? Thanks again, have a nice weekend!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes I can give you the hole spacing and the hole size for the rockers.
Also I can provide pictures of how the grab bar brackets are mounted. The dash piece has to have a upper row of studs on the top back side, or I do not know how you will mount the dash piece and have it stay flush with the dash.

There are screws that hold the bottom of the dash panel. If you have a Impala dash panel on your car you can reuse the screws and the nuts for the studs. If your new panel does not have studs along the top back side I would return it. I just bought a new SS panel and it has studs.

The rocker moldings have two different kinds of mounting clips. Did you get some new push in rocker mounting clips?
If so you still need 4 mounting clips with studs. One for the fender and one for the rear 1/4 right in front of the rear wheel(2 per side). The repro clips that are sold are short the fender and 1/4 studs/nuts I noted above.
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes those rocker clips are the right ones. but there are 5 holes per side to mount the Impala rocker moldings correctly, as I noted above and you are short 2 per side - I have a suggestion for ones to use for size and type.
The originals I have at home -I need to measure them (they almost always break when removing the rocker moldings). you need 2 inch or 3 " approx. size clips are needed but the size has to be correct so they will stay attached to the rocker chrome.
Probably won't be able to send that info until Tuesday when we get home.

The second link is not correct for Impala rockers -they are for the small thin biscayne belair rocker trim.

Off to our grandkids football games....

Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok just a follow up, I purchased the complete SS side moldings from Classic industries here

http://www.classicindustries.com/shop/1962/impala/parts/exterior-trim/?&p=3

I think the price is wrong because they have the same price listed for both SS and Non-SS trim. Other sites sell that trim for $799

Anyhow, I also used the "up to" 25% off promo code and the total dropped to $382 plus tax and shipping, total was $467, so then I just drove over there and picked it up and saved $48 on shipping. I ended up paying $413 out the door!

I didnt feel I was up to the task of working with the inserts, and the more I looked at my trim, the more dents I found.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Not to rain on your parade, but I found repro Impala or Impala SS side chrome(fenders, doors and rear 1/4's to be of inferior quality.
In fact most sellers of the reproduction side trim call it "driver quality".

Its wavy, the shine is not close to restored original trim shine (that has been restored and reanodized) or original
Impala or original SS side trim in nice shape. What I mean is the shine looks like somewhat like dull chrome.
In fact I think the repro aluminum side trim its not even reanodized aluminum (as the original trim was), it may just be shined up by polishing or clear coated aluminum
The two Impalas I have seen with the repro side trim, did not look like the side trim fit the side of car
as nice as original side trim. I am referring to matching at the doors to fenders and 1/4's and the trim
not fitting tight against the car.

With all that said, and my notes below, its up to you, its your car and if you are happy its your choice.

I just wanted to warn others of the quality of reproduction 1962 Impala and SS side trim, especially when
you can't see the reproduction side trim in person,and see it mounted on the car,
when compared to what a buyer would expect it to look like nice condition or NOS original Impala side trim.

I have a number of sets (at least 6 -1962's) of NOS Impala trim and restored original 1962 Impala
side trim on 62's I have done or worked on for comparison to reproduction side trim over the years.

Here is a description I copied of all the aluminum trim as it came from the factory:

"The anodized coating is hard, durable, will never peel, and, under normal conditions, will never wear through. The purpose of anodizing is to form a layer of aluminum oxide that will protect the aluminum beneath it. The aluminum oxide layer has much higher corrosion and abrasion resistance than aluminum"

Paul Stensland

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, are 63 reproduction side molding''s that way also.I bought some very nice original used ss molding's and alway''s thought I should have just bought reproduction ,although the I am happy with the used but nice molding''s I got......

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don,
I did a 63 Impala SS 409 convertible a number of years ago. The original chrome was too dented to reuse. We installed reproduction trim. It did not fit the panels as tight as the original chrome. I noticed the fit difference but the chrome did look good as I recall.

I worked on two other 63 SS Impalas, one last year and one 3/4 years ago. Both had repro SS side trim installed by others for the owners. The shine appeared to be nice and very close to the originals/SS inserts were metal, but the fit was similar on the panels -not as tight to the panels as originals -but not too bad.
I note that Ecklers right now has 63 Impala side moldings that are discontinued or on backorder. I bet they are selling overseas made junk/poor quality.

I looked up 63 Impala SS side chrome on Dallas County Parts, a Iowa seller who sells Impala and Impala SS 62,63, and 64 trunk panels also Iowa based. He also sells Trim Parts trim(see his comments on this company) -these are trim items that are much better than overseas made SS emblems and script etc.
Here is a link to the 63 Impala SS side moldings he sells:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1963-Im...t-Assembled-Metal-Inserts-Clips-/371792343468

I note that he says these 63 SS side moldings have been off the market for over a year. That tells me he would only sell the quality made 63 SS moldings (with metal inserts,etc.), and he waited for them to be made again.

Dallas County Parts sells quality parts and I note that he does not even sell 62 Impala side trim.
That tells me that the 62 side trim in the market place is driver or poor quality.

His name is Lane Keller and is a straight shooter and will tell you how good the 63 side trim is, send him some questions or even try to talk to him, I have talked to him a number of times. He knows the repro trim makers and the quality. Link to contact him and his site.
http://www.dallascountyparts.com/index.html

I believe the 63 SS "door" molding(that he sells with the set of 6 moldings) is made by the Iowa maker of the SS trunk panels.
The Impala SS trunk panels he sells are mint and the best on the market as good or better than NOS trunk panels .
(I have 4 sets of these SS trunk panels + purchased 3 more sets for friends and NOS trunk panels that I compared). Dallas County Parts sells the 62 SS trunk panel and coves(Iowa sold to dealers) for $775 or almost $200 less than many other sellers.
see this SS trunk panel link and notes on the panels:
http://www.dallascountyparts.com/gallery1.html

Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have that trunk panel ,,,, and yes it is quality. The molding's look very nice too, forgot about him also having the side trim also. My used molding's are very nice ,so I was just curious .