1962 Impala Question- "SS Side Body Molding"

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, I sincerely thank you for your reply and appreciate your thoroughness in explaining what and why. You have brought up some very valid points and re-assured me that you are indeed a Man of knowledge, experiance, and perfection in restoration. The guy that handed them to me did say "driver quality". I'm new to the game and you are teaching me alot! That being said, I will save my original trim and buy the inserts to restore those and have them sitting pretty in the garage until the time is right to replace the repops. I really have my mind set on a 62 Convertible and am thinking of just finishing the hard top, flipping it, and going for my goal. I continue to follow this thread and read over and over again as it also applies to convertibles. I'm glad we have you around to help us out! With what you are teaching me, I can sound like I know what Im talking about. ;)

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, I sincerely thank you for your reply and appreciate your thoroughness in explaining what and why. You have brought up some very valid points and re-assured me that you are indeed a Man of knowledge, experiance, and perfection in restoration. The guy that handed them to me did say "driver quality". I'm new to the game and you are teaching me alot! That being said, I will save my original trim and buy the inserts to restore those and have them sitting pretty in the garage until the time is right to replace the repops. I really have my mind set on a 62 Convertible and am thinking of just finishing the hard top, flipping it, and going for my goal. I continue to follow this thread and read over and over again as it also applies to convertibles. I'm glad we have you around to help us out! With what you are teaching me, I can sound like I know what Im talking about. ;)
Paul can even help you with that convertible you want!!!!!!!!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Thanks (Impalabricker) for the comments. I enjoy explaining what I have learned and the options on restoring
over 12 - 61,62,63 Chevys and 3 -57's over the years.

Don,
"You are right"
I have a 1962 Impala SS 327/300 HP 700R4 overdrive transmission Convertible with white exterior/red SS interior "that will be for sale" in the spring or early summer.
Its a California SS (came from Long Beach) with Power Steering, Power Brakes & factory air.
I am keeping the convertible until we are done assembling 2 - 1962 Impala SS 409 convertibles -both frame off restorations.

Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Paul, after tossing and turning at night, I went ahead and also bought the inserts from Dallas County parts online. I found his ebay store was actually cheaper at a total of $253 shipping included. I will use my originals and restore them. In the meantime I have to figure out what to do with these ones I bought, it appears they are of inferior quality and have the vinyl tape. I should have looked harder at them. No wonder the lights are dim in the store.. hahaha.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
We just finished installing the metal SS inserts on a set of 62 Impala NOS side chrome with painted inserts.
I was not there when they were done(my friend was there and we had a trim restorer do the metal tape install) but we can provide pointers if needed - on the 3M tape installation
on the back of the metal inserts and the installation on the chrome(he heated the metal tape -after it was stuck to the aluminum side chrome "on aluminum trim" to help with the curing of the 3M tape to the aluminum trim)

Paul

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, after tossing and turning at night, I went ahead and also bought the inserts from Dallas County parts online. I found his ebay store was actually cheaper at a total of $253 shipping included. I will use my originals and restore them. In the meantime I have to figure out what to do with these ones I bought, it appears they are of inferior quality and have the vinyl tape. I should have looked harder at them. No wonder the lights are dim in the store.. hahaha.
Why don't you return the side moulding's???

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Before I take the trim back tomorrow and exchange it for a windshield, can someone tell me what the difference between these 2 windshiekds are. Product # FW608T and Product # FW609T

Im thinking both are green glass, but 1 is newer black tint, and the other is the older green/blue tint. Am I right?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Looks like a big price difference. I would not be surprised they have to ship the glass(drop ship from the supplier) to you and don't have it in stock.
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the replies, they closed at 5, so I will re-visit this thread tomorrow and let you know what happened.. I have to go down there to return the trim anyway

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, I got the windshield and new weatherstrip, glass is nice, green with correct tint shading at the top. They had it in stock so I had them package it well since I would be storing it till I was ready to use it. Now, back to the original topic of this thread.. the trim. Like I said, I ordered the trim from Dallas County Parts and Im glad I did as not many people sell the real metal ones. Now on to the tape. I found This Is this enough? Or do I need 2 rolls?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did they give you any static about returning the trim????? Wow, you are really lucky to be able to pick up your part's and avoid shipping charges. don't know how close you are to them ,but you have some gas involved....

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No static at all, Im only 25 miles away, he looked at it, noticed it was still wrapped the way they gave it to me "except for the small corner I tore open", took me in the back to inspect the windshield, and packaged it up! I even added the weather stripping, and still have a $2 credit! As I drove home, I did think of the fact that I am lucky to live so close. I saw FedEx and UPS being loaded up while I was there, with lots and lots of Christmas presents! A few shop owners there picking up as well.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Ok, I got the windshield and new weatherstrip, glass is nice, green with correct tint shading at the top. They had it in stock so I had them package it well since I would be storing it till I was ready to use it. Now, back to the original topic of this thread.. the trim. Like I said, I ordered the trim from Dallas County Parts and Im glad I did as not many people sell the real metal ones. Now on to the tape. I found This Is this enough? Or do I need 2 rolls?

• I recall that the total length needed is 32 ft, you can measure your trim and or better the width and length of the metal SS inserts -to determine the width needed and length
  • The rear 1/4 pieces I recall need 2 - side by side 1 inch wide tape to fill the space( minimize the joints with wider tape).
  • I think the doors require the 1 inch wide width (trim slightly -1/2" is to narrow... I recall.
  • I think the fenders need 1 inch wide by the doors so you are stuck with using 1" vs 1/2"
  • The 3M tape goes on the metal trim first, then trim it on the outside edges with a razor blade.
  • you need help to hold and place the tape and inserts.
  • heat the trim with the inserts in place to set the tape

here is the correct 1" wide tape (other companies sell the tape - I even found it at Staples -but very hard to find the correct 15 mil and the right number on their site)
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...3M-4920-VHB-Double-Sided-Foam-Tape-1-x-72-yds

expensive tape but you need the best to have it hold to the trim.
thinner 3M tape does not work good.
Paul

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok Paul, I am getting ready to install the grab bar tomorrow using the templates I got from you. At first I was under the impression that the part that is nearest the passenger door was removable, once I got under there I see that it appears to be welded and part of the body of the car, or am I looking at it wrong? Is there any trick to actually getting your hand in there to bolt the bracket in place?