1962 Lightweight

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I think one of our members here talked to the owner of this car in Chicago at the Nov/Dec show last year ?
He was a Pontiac guy as I recall some comments and did not know much about 409's.
I also recall comments that Dick Harrell name cannot be on the car.
It was sold at Barrett Jackson ?

Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Others who know this particular vehicle might chime in. I recall there were a few (3?) "lightweights" made in 1962, thought they were all SS cars. Not sure of engine configuration.

I think Phil knew a fellow that had a 62SS Lightweight in KS, they seem to be Black SS cars.

I can't imagine that the factory put a Z-11 engine in those three cars. Perhaps the Z-11 top end came "over the counter" later that year?

Others more connected will know :).

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Was there the zintmaster cars built with the light weight parts but I don't know about z11 motor parts? Thought I read zintmaster dealer built 18 cars?

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Zintsmaster car was an assembly-line built aluminum-equipped car while this black car was an over-the-counter built car. Neither car would have had factory-installed, high-port Z11 style heads.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a copy of the Zintmaster window sticker and it does not list any Z-11 parts or any aluminum parts on the window sticker
I can copy it and post it.
Paul

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
This car was Dick Harrrells. Because of Dick’s daughter, Valerie, owning the rights to her dads name no one is allowed to do so without her permission.
A friend of mine bought the car many years ago from I believe Don Hardy or Charles Therwanger, I have forgotten. Can call Bill and find out. It was setting out back of a shop and Bill acquired it. Another friend of mine worked for Dick and helped put the aluminum front end on when they received their parts.

I have spoken to the current owner several times and he does admit he is a Pont guy with little knowledge of this car or the Z-11’s.
Without getting into that story, I can share that in 1962 Chevrolet built 20 SS cars with the aluminum front end, hood, fenders and inner fender liners, no aluminum bumpers brackets or grille components. All of these cars came with the 409/409 engine not the 2 piece intake and heads.

Here is a newspaper ad for 2 of the cars at Don Steve’s Chevrolet. Don and Chevrolet were very tight. I spoke with Dons son and he said his dad constantly had engines, parts and cars coming and going. Lots of prototype parts. There were really big in racing Corvettes.

43A4142C-4607-448F-8BBA-D52A4A0731AE.jpeg

More, I’m repeating myself I’m sure but, here goes. Chevrolet wanted to win the NHRA Nationals at INDY in 62. Throughout ‘62 they developed many Special Service Package parts. At various times they shipped these parts to the big drag racers of the day, as well as making some available over the counter.

In late summer of ‘62 Chevrolet shipped a crate with the pre-production 2 piece 2x4 intake manifold and high rise heads along with cam, springs, etc. to the factory racers like Hayden. About 10 days later they shipped the aluminum front end.
All of these engine parts were the preproduction “0”-part numbers, not a for production part like the Z-11 in 1963.

Hayden and I have discussed this several times and he said the front end came later.

No cars were built with these parts, rather just “go fast stuff” shipped only to the racers like Hayden.

Hope this fills in some of the question gaps.

Pat

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My father had a red, red SS alum. front car. When it came in he and Dan switch front ends on the race car, and then dad sold the car as new of his car lot.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Remember years back when Randy Ferguson came to Thompson one summer? He brought part of a 1962 buck and a left front fender that he was working on. Was that for one of Pat's cars?

So Barry, where did that front clip end up?

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tom, the motor in that car soon got the Z11 top end. Now it's time for 63s to come out. Local chevy dealer sells dad a 6cyl 63 Belair. cream colored I believe. They picked it up after midnight the day before they were to be shown for the first time. The engine, trans, rear end and whatever else come out of the red 62 and in to the 63. this was all done to make the Labor day race at Green Valley. Dad never had any trouble getting rid of his race cars, running or not. Most went back on the street. I'll have to check the date on the duplicate title to see when he first got the real Z11 car that was the first lettered up car he raced.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Tom, the motor in that car soon got the Z11 top end. Now it's time for 63s to come out. Local chevy dealer sells dad a 6cyl 63 Belair. cream colored I believe. They picked it up after midnight the day before they were to be shown for the first time. The engine, trans, rear end and whatever else come out of the red 62 and in to the 63. this was all done to make the Labor day race at Green Valley. Dad never had any trouble getting rid of his race cars, running or not. Most went back on the street. I'll have to check the date on the duplicate title to see when he first got the real Z11 car that was the first lettered up car he raced.
Barry, let us know what you find. Do you have any photos of that car, sounds familiar.
Did I tell you I found the guy that bought your dads Z-11 car with the small block. He had no idea where the car went after he sold it, he now lives in southern Colorado.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pat, Dad sold it to Johnny Scharber, and he street raced it for awhile and then he sold it to the fella you talked to, whom Ronnie knew. I believe he then traded it in at Friendly for a new 66 SS Chevelle. I do have a picture of the red 62SS that got the aluminum front end from the new donor car.