1962 p-case posi rear end and houseing

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
got a 1962 Biscayne wagon it has a p-case posi in it and the housing has a drain plug on the bottom none of my other 62 or 63 has this ???

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The drain plug first appeared in 56 and continued through 59 on the Corvette axles, I would assume it would also apply to the pass car axles as well.....or maybe somebody installed an early Corvette axle in your 62.

1962 btop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
cecil is the corvette housing a bolt in swap this looks stock .the coil spring have air bags in rear they look stock and old

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
cecil is the corvette housing a bolt in swap this looks stock .the coil spring have air bags in rear they look stock and old
Not exactly. All the brackets would have to be cut off and new ones welded on for the different mounting. The basic axle housing is pretty much the same except for the end backing plate flanges are rotated about 15? degrees on the Corvette and the bearings on the pass car changed in 59 for the wider track.
I suspect your housing is original with the drain plug.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Corvette had leaf springs, cars had coils. it would be a lot of cutting and welding brackets

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
62's do not have a drain plug, 61 was the last year in a full size, you probably have an older housing or someone added a drain plug, which is a great idea.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
62's do not have a drain plug, 61 was the last year in a full size, you probably have an older housing or someone added a drain plug, which is a great idea.

Don
I think Don hit the nail on the head here. Every 61' I have had did have the drain plug and every 62' did not.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
But is so much fun having all that smelly 90 wt draining all over you and the pumpkin as you pop it loose!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
But is so much fun having all that smelly 90 wt draining all over you and the pumpkin as you pop it loose!

I'm with you Skip!!! Kind of a right of passage when you do your own work!!!!! And the smell of the 90weight oil usually goes away in about 3 days!!!!

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a dumb question about the housings, do they have a breather ??

During the quick looks I have done on my Chev's I have not noticed a breather. The 9" housings I have do on the top LHS of the axle tube.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My '64 cracked a axle housing back in the mid 1970's.I replaced the housing with a 61' housing.The 61' housing does have the air vent left side top,also has the drain nut on the bottom.Back then I was just happy to get a housing cheap.Now days everything is numbers and years match..still glad I did get the housing I have because of the oil drain.:clap

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Is it possible that this is an early 62 car and some of the 61 housings were still in stock, these cars aren't as identical as people seem to believe?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The drain plug discrepancy could be a difference in assembly plant. there were two plants building the axles, G for Detroit gear and B for Buffalo, NY.
ALL the 56-62 Corvette axles were built at Detroit Gear and had drain plugs until 59. Maybe the Buffalo pass car axles had drain plugs and Detroit didn't.:dunno

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I have two empty housings I am hanging onto for some reason. A 64 and a 62 neither of which has the drain plug. (I love the smell of used gear oil.)