1962 Super Stock Build

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Well 11 and some hours, 680 some miles and it is in its new home town. My new to me Bel Air. Don't know if its good, and or Bad that I have a restoration shop (Truck and Car Shop) close to me. Stopped in today and picked up a 62 Assembly manual, and a few other needed things to get the project build started, need to start going through it and see whats good / bad, fixable, or just needs replacing.
624.jpg623.jpg

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Well either way I am pulling the body off the frame. Just need to decide on whether to blast and powder coat it or blast it and use Eastwoods chassis / frame products?

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Thanks Mark, Corner of the quarters in front of rear wheels need patches, passenger front floor, trunk pan needs replacing. Need a P/S fender may be able to repair D/S fender. All in all its a real good base to start with, for what I am looking to do / obtain

Cripe SS my 61 was only 7 yrs. old back in 68 and it was starting to go there and over the headlights. This girl I was dating in HS asked me how old my 61 was and I told her it was a brand new 68 but because of the rust issue I was able to buy it as a seconds at a considerable discount and that was the only reason I could afford it, she didn't know what hit her.

Mark

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
First off Merry Christmas to all you fellow 348 - 409 members, been a while since I posted, been hectic at work. Became short staffed due to people leaving and having to let people go. Finally getting staffed back up so hopefully I can get back at the project.

I have been able to get a 409 lined up and may be able to go get it tomorrow, mind you its a short block with 333 heads but its a start, also got a 4 speed trans from a good friend and customer who raced in the NASCAR Series. SEGA is working with Hoosier Tire for the new season, and they are making a Spec Tire for the class which should be released in a few weeks
409.jpg
4092.jpg
Hoosier_SEGA.jpg

heddrik

Well Known Member
Looks like a great start to me. Looking forward to watching your build. Do you have a car it's going in yet?

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Corner of the quarters in front of rear wheels need patches, passenger front floor, trunk pan needs replacing

Boy, does all that sound familiar!! If the photo in your avatar is any indication of where this car is going I like it a lot! Will be following along. Good car to start with, looks like. Where’d you have to go to get it?

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Boy, does all that sound familiar!! If the photo in your avatar is any indication of where this car is going I like it a lot! Will be following along. Good car to start with, looks like. Where’d you have to go to get it?

Kevin,
I drove to the GA, TN mountains border to get it. Trunk Tub is whats needed in the rear, passenger floor and other pieces are the major pieces needing done, everything else looks pretty easy to tackle. Drivers quarter forward of the Gas door has a small crease which shouldn't be a issue either. With this being a "Track Car" it should be pretty much straight forward.

Going off last years rules the 348 would have been my best option, this year rules have changed so I am going the 409 dual quad route. I am also looking at doing a Factory width 9" (ya I know four letter work FORD) but as gear sets and third members are very plentiful here in NASCAR country, its a good choice also adding the necessary upper arm to make it a 4 point trailing arm suspension vs. just the factory 3 point. Still undecided as to a wheel combo, found these
cragarslots.jpg
but still thinking about factory steel style on all four corners or mag style up front and steelies out back. We are regulated to 4" min up front and 8' max in the rear. I also need to start locating pedal and linkage pieces and hopefully you guys can/will chime in as I am looking for best place(s) to acquire all the needed parts. We have to use a H-pattern shifter as no V Gate / In Line shifters are allowed.

heddrik

Well Known Member
So many knowledgeable, experienced people here. Best resource by far. Good luck. I know you will enjoy this.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I would message pvs409 on here for your clutch parts he will have a list of everything you need and possibly has some of the stuff on hand.

Nate ( nana1962409) is correct, I have collected 61 to 63/64 clutch conversion parts over the years and have selling off partial and complete sets of linkage with a complete list of options to select from. The includes full original clutch and brake pedals(62’s were a one year factory setup). There are two different types of lower linkage matched to a clutch fork - one is better for racing in my option. There is one style Hurst “H” pattern shifter (and matching arms / rods - depending on the type of transmission used, that fits 61 to 64’s and it works really good for drag racing( having raced late 50’s/60’s cars over the years).

Paul

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Oh wow are you building this thing for the S.E.G. Super stock class?? Awesome!! Wish they weren’t 2000 miles away I’d be out there with em. Looks like a lot of fun.
Yes Kevin it will be Run in the SEGA S/S class, it has recently been announced that the S/S cars will run all the scheduled events this year, also planning on doing a few shows and possibly some exhibition and match races with it