1962 Super Stock Build

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Ok so back to the wheel combo, After browsing George's site and combing through the archives of photos some of the cars where wearing/having a deeper dish rear wheel. Can someone shed some light as to what wheel they where using and backspace to use? As I mentioned previously I can use up to a 8" wide wheel, however our "SPEC" tire is only 7" wide so I don't know if running a 1" wider wheel would be of any benefit. This is the stance/look I am wanting to achieve

009_227_orig.jpg

Last edited:

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool project:beer Could be an idea, not sure with your rules though, I used the stock steel Chevy 14" centres in a 15" x 8" drop centre rim, made them with a 5" backspace for my rear streeters. You could do the same with a 7" wide rim if you didn't want to go 8's. Personally I'd go eight's to get that 7" wide tire planted as wide as possible using up every bit of tread. DC 17.jpgOh yeah, and that tow bar is removable :laugh4, darn thing weighs nearly 100lb's!!!

Last edited:

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Cool project:beer I used the stock Chevy 14" centres in a 15" x 8" drop rim, made them with a 5" backspace for my rear streeters. You could do the same with a 7" wide rim if you didn't want to go 8's. Personally I'd go eight's to get that 7" wide tire planted as wide as possible using up every bit of tread. Oh yeah, and that tow bar is removable :laugh4, darn thing weighs nearly 100lb's!!!

Badd Azz, what size tire are you running? And stock width rear?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Robert,
I sent you a private message.
For my stock width rear end 15 x 8 corvette steel rims would not fit with my drag radials on my 62 SS Hardtop.
4 inch backspace is needed. If you are doing the 9” Ford I would narrow the rear end to 58 inches or 59 inches from the stock housing width of 60 inches.
Paul

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cool project:beer Could be an idea, not sure with your rules though, I used the stock steel Chevy 14" centres in a 15" x 8" drop centre rim, made them with a 5" backspace for my rear streeters. You could do the same with a 7" wide rim if you didn't want to go 8's. Personally I'd go eight's to get that 7" wide tire planted as wide as possible using up every bit of tread. View attachment 67163Oh yeah, and that tow bar is removable :laugh4, darn thing weighs nearly 100lb's!!!

I thought this was one of those Aussie cattle bumpers you would see on the big rigs scaled down of course.

Mark

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
These are 15x7 with 3” backspace, 28x11.50 Hoosiers. They just barely fit. Original chevy rear. There’s about 1/4-1/2” between the sidewall and the quarter panel, and I was able to sneak 2 1/2” tailpipes behind em with about 1” to spare on the sidewalls. I have to deflate and drop the axle down just to get em on, or leave em aired up and pull the shocks off:rolleyes:doh
11489BAE-EE42-42DA-9D55-4FC612B18942_zps9apzla1c.png

E2A3F3DA-DD88-46CE-8996-C8E295E21BAA_zps4pu7wbgy.jpeg

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
These are 15x7 with 3” backspace, 28x11.50 Hoosiers. They just barely fit. Original chevy rear. There’s about 1/4-1/2” between the sidewall and the quarter panel, and I was able to sneak 2 1/2” tailpipes behind em with about 1” to spare on the sidewalls. I have to deflate and drop the axle down just to get em on, or leave em aired up and pull the shocks off:rolleyes:doh
11489BAE-EE42-42DA-9D55-4FC612B18942_zps9apzla1c.png

E2A3F3DA-DD88-46CE-8996-C8E295E21BAA_zps4pu7wbgy.jpeg
Nice........

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Love the info and pictures but I personally want to run the Pie Crust Cheaters! Nope they aren't the best to race with but they look mean. Anyone getting traction with cheater slicks should be so kind to cover how they are getting it done. I borrowed some TowlCity 9inch wide cheaters from work off of a car that was getting a brake job so I could measure. Lots of room. Need to seriously consider 10inch now that I found some 15x8 rims. :burnout

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Love the info and pictures but I personally want to run the Pie Crust Cheaters! Nope they aren't the best to race with but they look mean. Anyone getting traction with cheater slicks should be so kind to cover how they are getting it done. I borrowed some TowlCity 9inch wide cheaters from work off of a car that was getting a brake job so I could measure. Lots of room. Need to seriously consider 10inch now that I found some 15x8 rims. :burnout

Totally understand, I will do that when I show it, as towel city is a stone throw away from me (which makes it nice) how ever to race in the series it needs to be on the Hoosier spec tires on the rear

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Kevin,
That is the wheel style I been looking for, and with our "SPEC" tire being 29.0/7-15 that would be perfect, plus no need for exhaust back there on this one

That’s cool they’re limiting tires to 7” just like no hot rods allowed did back when...That class sounds like so much fun. You’re a lucky son of a gun to have that in your back yard. Speaking of luck, I thought I hit the jackpot when I found those rear wheels in a junkyard in colorado springs. Those old tapered barrel chrome reverse or painted reverse wheels are SO hard to find. I grab em any time I find em, even if it’s just one. That 62 bubbletop you pictured has tapered barrel 15’s on the rear for sure, maybe 14’s on the front?? I absolutely love that look:good:good:good

55-56 wheels are fairly common to find reversed, but they’re only 5” wide so that doesn’t help you much for rears. The fronts on my 61 are reversed 55 wheels.

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Ok so I am back on the hunt for a Motor / Parts and pieces to build one. I went to pick up the 409, and even when I told the original owner I was coming to get it he sold just prior to me getting there

:gaah So its back to the drawing board,I have been able to located a few 348's so I am considering doing a 434 build and using Cast Iron heads for now, and save up for a set of aluminum heads