1962 Super Stock Build

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have a 1965 409 truck block that I will sell. I think it’s standard bore and has all the main caps.
I decided that I am not going to use it. I was going to use it for a drag race car.
I purchased it from 348/409 member Tom Kochtanek about 5 years ago.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I wanted to post the block numbers here for other members to confirm that I am right,
since I am not a expert on truck block #'s.
The block is # 3857656 no date just 45 on the rear pad and CFD.
The front passenger pad is number is: T0913XXG. It has the reliefs cut into the cylinders to lower compression as all truck blocks have.

When I purchased the block from Tom K, he had previously had the block professionally welded in the water jackets just below the head mounting surfaces. I know I would not have purchased the block it if it was not useable.
This is the 2nd 409 block I had that was welded in the water jackets by the heads. The first one I had came from Phil Reed went in a $ 50,000 409/409 1962 red/red bubble top of a friend of mine about 15 years ago. That car block was welded (by Day Automotive as I recall).

I have a 1965 409 truck block in my 62 SS 409 Hardtop with the 482 cubic inch stroker motor with Edelbrock heads-its 500 HP on the engine dyno.
Paul

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For the money. There is no match for performance. Just remember it's bigger than anything GM ever made in that vintage. With 4inch stroke and 400 plus cubes you can bolt on some 379's and expect healthy numbers. Spend your leftover 409 block money on a blower and burn rubber in all 4 gears.:burnout

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
409 = larger bore = larger valves = more air/fuel = more power.

348 = smaller bore = smaller valves = less air/fuel = less power.

409... $$$$
348...$$

Different budgets, different outcomes, . I've raced a couple of 9 second cars, am I going to have one?????Nope. You can have fun with the one you brung. I'm really racing against myself anyhow.......unless I'm up against Ray.....:pokeBut when a guy goes up to the line, it's usually all business until you hit the stripe no matter how fast you go.

Simple. Build for what you are going to use it for. You want to race then use a six cylinder with no posi and have fun. You want to win then sell your house and live in the race car. You want to do both... so do the rest of us.

Good one Randy...:good

Last edited:

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
409 = larger bore = larger valves = more air/fuel = more power.
348 = smaller bore = smaller valves = less air/fuel = less power.
Got ya, and yes I got the speed costs $$$, how fast do you want to go scenario, what it always boils down to is the $$. The realness of it was that the 409 I had lined up and WAS going to be getting was only $300.00 for the long block.

With that being gone, I am/was looking at going the 348 stroker route due to some of the builds and power numbers I have seen from those.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The SEGA puts on a race, with competitive racers.
It's heads up racing.
Not the race I would want to show up and just have fun at.
I would show up with both barrels loaded for bear.
Now this is just my opinion, your mileage my very. :D

neilswheels

Well Known Member
Just a quick one, i'd leave the powder and paint it. I know you probably dont have much damp, but it gets under powder and runs underneath it, suddenly all the powder fulls off and there's a load of rot. Its also not easy to 'touch up', and chips, despite what 'they' say. I dont recomend powder to any of my customers for external use, good old paint gets my vote. If you're worried about rust, have it hot zinc sprayed before its painted.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Put the money you would spend on a good 409 block towards a good adjustable clutch. With that 7" tire you won't have a prayer without one. Now if you can get a 409 block and an adjustable clutch, do that! Oh and an 8" rim for sure. Judging by the video I have seen, HP won't be as big of factor as a good 60 foot. And put as much compression in it as you can!