1962 Super Stock Build

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
A 348 block with a 4” crank is a great option for making 500hp. 430-440 cubes there. Or, a 3.76” crank puts you at 400-410 cubes. Even a set of iron small port (333, 817, 147) will make 1hp per cid. In a 3500# car with a good holeshot, that’s deep 12’s @ 110mph. Cylinder heads are the key though, and I’ve been amazed at how well small port iron W heads work. Have not tried big port heads yet. Looking forward to building an engine with some 690’s or better.

I remember seeing Travis make some passes a couple years ago at MoKan in his 62 Bel Air. Granted, the car is really light (lexan, glass hood, no interior) with 4.56ish gears, small converter, etc. but that car was running bottom 11’s at about 120 with a 430” 348, and a pair of 690’s with minimal porting, and a stock 881 dual quad intake. Healthy flat tappet cam of some kind.

:yup X2 on compression. Makes the engine so much more snappy having 10:1+

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Has anyone built a 348 to spin 8-9,000 rpm. Displacement is great but as I understand it, power is in how fast they will spin WITHOUT exploding.

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
A 348 block with a 4” crank is a great option for making 500hp. 430-440 cubes there. Or, a 3.76” crank puts you at 400-410 cubes. Even a set of iron small port (333, 817, 147) will make 1hp per cid. In a 3500# car with a good holeshot, that’s deep 12’s @ 110mph. Cylinder heads are the key though, and I’ve been amazed at how well small port iron W heads work. Have not tried big port heads yet. Looking forward to building an engine with some 690’s or better.

After doing some more research, that's the route I am going, just need to decide on the 396/427 - H Beams, or the 4" Stroke - H Beams and doing either 11-1 or 11.5-1 pistons. Both combos can produce the HP numbers needed at under or around 6000 rpm.

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Under 7,000,I'd figure on a 6.385 I beam rod as they're lighter,and the higher pin placement allows for a lighter piston as well.I suggest Diamond pistons since they have a better combustion area/valve notch design.You're going to want every advantage you can get as those Ford guys cheat!!!!:rubIs there a weight advantage to run iron heads in these classes[you can always paint the aluminum heads].Bob Walla's heads will allow about 1.19 more compression.

Last edited:

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just a quick one, i'd leave the powder and paint it. I know you probably dont have much damp, but it gets under powder and runs underneath it, suddenly all the powder fulls off and there's a load of rot. Its also not easy to 'touch up', and chips, despite what 'they' say. I dont recomend powder to any of my customers for external use, good old paint gets my vote. If you're worried about rust, have it hot zinc sprayed before its painted.
Completely agree! My body guy who has built numerous show cars and awards doesn't like powder coating for two reasons:
There isn't a body filler which will take the heat.
You can't easily fix a scratch.