1962 windshield and rear window install/sealing?

denson1932

Well Known Member
I am unsure of exactly where the sealer is to go...

do i put a bead inside the rubber windshield seal where it meets the glass?
i don't think i can put a bead inside the rubber windshield seal where is mates with the body lip because every source sez to put a rope in there to facilitate insertion onto body lip....
so is the only place for sealer 'after the fact... of installation' in the hollow where stainless trim is held by the clips?

Last edited:

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
If you expect the car to remain dry if it is left out in the rain, you need sealer between the body and gasket and sealer between the glass and the gasket. Without a waterproof seal between both, your window will leak.

denson1932

Well Known Member
ok...so how do you get sealer into the body-side crevice of the windshield seal after you have already installed it in the opening? again, if i use the 'rope trick' to install the windshield, i cannot put sealer into that channel as i am going to put the rope in there....

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
First you need 2 kinds of sealer.
Something called rope or strip or dumb dumb sealer. This stuff is kinda like sticky play dough and comes in strips. It is like clay and can be rolled and worked easily.
Pumpable butyl sealer. This stuff is pretty runny and very sticky and messy. You don't want to play with this stuff since it makes a mess if you are not neat when installing it. It comes in a can with a special pumper cap which can be fitted with a flattened tube to make a nice thin nozzle.

You use the strip stuff and apply sections on the body around the clips and on the glass around the perimeter of the gasket on the face that fits down in the valley where the clips go. No sealer goes in the groove where the rope goes.
You install the glass using the rope and then add more strip sealer to fill in the valley. You now have a water tight seal between the body and gasket.

Starting on the outside of the car, you then use the pumpable stuff with the nozzle and carefully apply sealer around the outside edge of the glass and the gasket. The flattened tube nozzle allows you to stick it between the glass and the gasket and pump the stuff in the tiny groove and keep it off the exposed glass and gasket. You do this all around the outside edge and get inside the car and again around the inside edge for a double seal. You now have a water tight seal between the glass and the gasket.

I posted instructions from the shop manual for both the windshield and back glass install on another thread called tinted glass. If you get the right sealers and follow the instructions carefully you will end up with a car you can leave in the rain.